Acclimating Mollies to SW

fishtanker

I am going to be putting about 5-7 Black Lyretail Mollies in my 125gal reef and want to know how long should the acclimation time be to get them to saltwater levels. I was thinking about 2days but am wondering if it can be done quicker than that?
Thanks
Brian

fish4901

They are very hardy. I kept them in the bag for about a half hour to get them used to the temp. Them every 20 minutes i added about a cup of water and i did this about five times, and then i released them into the tank much easier then damsels.

liontamer

In some parts of the country they make the full transition from salt to fresh and back everyday, plus temp changes and nasty water as well. Pretty tough fish.

kev

You can switch them over VERY eaisily. I usually just take the bag that i get em in at the LFS, open it up, hang it over the side and just add a lil saltwater to it every 10 minutes or so. I've done this several times this way and like bang guy said, you can do it in an hour or so. I bought a pregnant black molly from the LFS a few weeks ago, changed her over to SW, then she had 5 BIG babies, these babies were HUGE. They've been doing really good so far and have grown alot.. If you put 5-7 mollies in a tnak, done be suprised when you have 50-70, lol... They're like rabbits. Good luck to ya! :D

fishtanker

cool..i'm going to pick some up today. i'll probably go with 2males 3females so that they can breed often. My plan is for the babies to be some additional food for the LPS and Anemones, i'm sure the crabs/shrimp will enjoy them also.