Acclimating Xenia.

ledzep fan

Hey everyone, my new xenia arrived not too long ago and I was wondering how I would acclimate it. It is tem acclimating right now, but there isn't enough water for a drip acclimation. Any thoughts?

bang guy

I typically float a bowl in the tank to get it to tank temp, take the Xenia out of the bag and plop it on the bowl (no water). It will slime up and shrink. Once that happens it's ready to glue into its new location.
Be careful with the slime, it's toxic to many reef organisms.

bang guy

If you purchased it from here you need to follow the SWF.COM acclimation proceedures or you void the guarantee.
I don't drip acclimate corals.

gatorwpb

My LFS that I trade my xenia frags into just drops it right into the water. maybe thats ok though because I get my natural saltwater from him too :)
Bang, which organisms can the Xenia slime be toxic too? Ive never had any problems and I scrape the heck out of it off my rocks. Could it kill a fish if the fish ate a piece of the xenia mush?

bang guy

Originally Posted by GatorWPB
http:///forum/post/2653675
My LFS that I trade my xenia frags into just drops it right into the water. maybe thats ok though because I get my natural saltwater from him too :)
Bang, which organisms can the Xenia slime be toxic too? Ive never had any problems and I scrape the heck out of it off my rocks. Could it kill a fish if the fish ate a piece of the xenia mush?

I doubt it would kill a fish in small quantities, the danger is mostly with corals. I have wiped out a large area of Coraline simply by cutting a few stalks of Xenia.