Acclimation question couldnt find in search

hdross

I am receiving an order today with four fish. My question is should all four fish be released in to the box for acclimation at the same time or do I set up four separate containers? I will also have a shrimp.

forcrz6

Originally Posted by hdross
http:///forum/post/3054648
I am receiving an order today with four fish. My question is should all four fish be released in to the box for acclimation at the same time or do I set up four separate containers? I will also have a shrimp.
Well as far as Acclimation, it is always good to do the Drip method. to Acclimate them. It is 1 of the less stress inducing ways to get your fish ready for you display tank.
Now, even though you are getting fish from SWF.com it is still the best Idea to QT them. Im not saying that there is anything wrong with the SWF.coms fish. But it is a good practice to always QT any new fish. But that is just my opinion.

spanko

Don't mix the fish and the water they came in into the same container. Use 4 separate containers. JMO

T

tfolke1

I've always mixed mine and did them all together, And I've never had a problem. I am however a touch on the lazy side and usually pressed for time.
I'm sure it would be better to do them seperately if you have the capabilities and the patience.
I believe that I've read that they sometimes keep invertebrates at a different salinity than shrimp, so you may want to check the water before you combine them.
I usually cover it so that they can't jump out if they get spooked.

hdross

Thanks, that was my question wether to mix the four bags or have four separate containers for the drip accclimtion.

meowzer

I have never done the drip method....I float the bags, and then I start changing the water....take some of bagged water out, put some of mine in.....etc....etc...Never lost any fish this way...

spanko

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3054687
I have never done the drip method....I float the bags, and then I start changing the water....take some of bagged water out, put some of mine in.....etc....etc...Never lost any fish this way...
This is the way I do it too. then you have 4 different containers one for each fish, and you have the added benefit of temp balance you don't get with dripping into a container.

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3054705
This is the way I do it too. then you have 4 different containers one for each fish, and you have the added benefit of temp balance you don't get with dripping into a container.

hdross

I am going to go with the drip method. I tested the SG of bag h2o was 1.016 my tank is 1.024. I think it will be less stressful doing the drip. All four bags were the same sg so I am going to do one container. Thanks for al of the replies.

jas1

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3054687
First, as a "newby" to SW, I have to say to everyone here THANK YOU!!! Since joining these msg boards I have gained more knowledge about this hobby in one month than I could've on my own

Now my ? using the bag method how much water do you swap each time, and how long do you do it? I have until now done the drip method for about 30 min doing each fish individually. I've never lost anything but I am constantly nervous of the water temp dropping too low. Getting new arrivals is spose ta be exciting and fun but it's kinda stressful if ya know what I mean

spanko

The procedure I use;
Empty about 1/2 of the water in the bag down the drain, be careful here, don't let the fishy come out.
Float the bag in the tank and every 10 minutes add about 1/4 cup of tank water to the bag. Do this for 1/2 hour than take the bag and again empty out 1/2 of the water, be careful here, don't let the fishy come out.
Repeat the floating and addition for the next 1/2 hour.
This gives you a 1 hour acclimation all the while the temp becommingstaying the same as the tank. At that point add the fish, not the water, to the tank and discard the water. Lights out for the rest of the day and the night to let it calm down and hopefully keep the other fish away from it. Litghting as usual the next day.

jas1

http:///forum/post/3054800
The procedure I use;
Empty about 1/2 of the water in the bag down the drain, be careful here, don't let the fishy come out.
Float the bag in the tank and every 10 minutes add about 1/4 cup of tank water to the bag. Do this for 1/2 hour than take the bag and again empty out 1/2 of the water, be careful here, don't let the fishy come out.
This gives you a 1 hour acclimation all the while the temp becommingstaying the same as the tank. At that point add the fish, not the water, to the tank and discard the water. Lights out for the rest of the day and the night to let it calm down and hopefully keep the other fish away from it. Litghting as usual the next day.
THANKS SPANKO!!!! just in time, too. My order just arrived

florida joe

Imo fish arriving to your house are all ready in a stressed state to put multiple fish in a small box to acclimate will only heighten the stress

spanko

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3054817
Imo fish arriving to your house are all ready in a stressed state to put multiple fish in a small box to acclimate will only heighten the stress
+1 with my esteemed colleague from the great state of Florida!

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3054800
The procedure I use;
This is what I do too....It helps to empty the bag water into a container though.....I lost a $25 Cleaner Shrimp down the drain once
You can be assured that will never happen again

hdross

Just a little update on my acclimation I did put all of the fish together in the styrofoam box and started the drip method. After four hours before putting the fish in the tank I added a little food all of the fish but the gobbie were eating. I then added them to the tank with the lights off. Everything went well no bullying or fighting in the tank. After four hours of lights out turned the lights on and everyone eating well when fed. The only problem I noted was the flame hawk picking on the coral banded shrimp, but he has quit this morning. I must say all fish were healthy and nice sized specimens.

spanko

Glad to hear it went well for you. Yeah unfortunately you are probably gonna lose the coral banded to the flame at some point.