acropora question

puffer200

just purchased a nice piece of acropora. has two 5 to 6 inch pieces mounted. have never had sps before. should i be seeing polyp extension??? have seen nothing yet. have only had for two days. (high flow and metal halide lighting) they're beautiful. just hope their alive

teen

Originally Posted by puffer200
http:///forum/post/2478419
just purchased a nice piece of acropora. has two 5 to 6 inch pieces mounted. have never had sps before. should i be seeing polyp extension??? have seen nothing yet. have only had for two days. (high flow and metal halide lighting) they're beautiful. just hope their alive

yea, normally you should have seen polyp extension by now.doesnt neccessarily mean theres something wrong though. what type of fish do you have? do you see PE at night? any pics?

ameno

Mine usually just come out at night, very few during the day, so check when lights out and see if there out, it could take a few days to adjust also.

puffer200

Originally Posted by ameno
http:///forum/post/2478755
Mine usually just come out at night, very few during the day, so check when lights out and see if there out, it could take a few days to adjust also.
thanks for the reply. i have a purple tang and three perculas in a 180 with about 250 lbs of rock. no problems with anything else. tank has been up and running for about 7 mos. nice corraline growth, ammonia, phosphate, and nitrates are o.

ameno

very true, they do use a lot of calcium, they just won't grow good if it's low, below 380. I have to dose a lot to keep mine up to 400 or better. but sounds like you have a good setup for sps, keep the acros were there is a really good water flow. you need around a 30x or better turn over rate in the tank.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by digitydash
http:///forum/post/2478861
Keep an eye on your calcium now they suck it up.
Yep. And check your alkalinity, magnesium, and Ph. Try to keep it from getting direct flow. They like plenty of flow, just not right at them.
Is it high or low in the tank? I find that by starting mine lower, they tend to react better. Then slowly over several weeks I move it up to where I want it.
Works for me anyway.

teen

http:///forum/post/2478755
thats normally a sign that a fish is picking at the coral.

puffer200

ive got it in the tank about 8 inches from a koralia 4..... is that too much flow????? it's also about 10 inches or so from the halide. this is where it was in the lps. i'll try to get a pic and then figure out how to post it.

digitydash

I would put it on the sand why it is aclimating to keep the risk down of bleaching.You don't want the flow rite on it .Your tank just needs alot of water movement for them to be happy.

ameno

if it was up high at the LFs and under MH lighting around the same wattage then it should be fine, change in lighting wether more light or less it will have to acclimate to the new lighting. the closer to what it's already used to would be best. acro's do not like change so it's best to put them somewere and leave them, less change the better. I have one of mine about 8" to10" from a outlet of a closed loop with alternating current and it seems to be happy with that. koralia's do don't produce a stong direct current but a softer current which I would think would be fine.

veni vidi vici

Here was my most recent experience, first sps, Bali Green Slimer brought it home and put it in the top 3rd of the tank ,about 10" from 250 w of 14 k MH lighting.Same as the LFS i bought it from but closer to the the light source than that at the LFS.I didnt drip acclimate coral and i didnt place it on the SB.It developed RTN in 24 hrs and was completely gone in 48 hr.Im not sure if these caused the RTN but i have since put 2 other sps in my DT and both are doing well.Driped and placed on SB.
Good Luck

teen

all corals should start at the bottom and remain there at least 1 week IMO. even if they're coming from similar/ more intense lighting conditions.

teen

'eh, i just feel that the corals are being stressed enough from the transition btwn tanks. i know my water quality is spot on, and most ppl i receive frags from, their water quality is just as good. doesnt mean that our calcium/ alk/ magnesium/ pH isnt a tad bit different.
fact is, the coral can go without intense lighting, even if it is an sps, for more than a week. id just rather let the frag settle in on the bottom of the tank for at least a week. especially in my tank (30g with 250w MH and a heck of a lot of flow within the top 6 or so inches of the tank). it can only do more good than harm IME.
whats your reasoning for not putting them on the bottom at first?

ameno

I just feel that the less amount of change from the envirment that they are used to the better, plus less handling the better. if you change there conditions then they will start to adjust to those conditions just to be relocated and changed again, IMO this just adds to extra stress to the coral. especially with acropora that are not tolerant to change. any zooxanthellate type coral will have coloration change in response to lighting conditions and sudden changes can cause them to bleach, so by taking them from a high lighting to a low lighting can cause problems. I have never just put them on the sand bed unless thats were they came from.

veni vidi vici

http:///forum/post/2479491
especially with acropora that are not tolerant to change. any zooxanthellate type coral will have coloration change in response to lighting conditions and sudden changes can cause them to bleach, so by taking them from a high lighting to a low lighting can cause problems. I have never just put them on the sand bed unless thats were they came from.
But couldnt the same be said from the opposite,low lighting to high lighting?And which one would be more harmful

teen

thats what i figured you would say. not that its wrong, we're both just coming at it from different views. ive been doing it my way for a while now with no problems, so ill continue to do it this way.

ameno

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2479498
But couldnt the same be said from the opposite,low lighting to high lighting?And which one would be more harmful

I would think short term going from low to high lighting would be worst, as teen said they can do ok with low light for some time, some corals can go as long as a month without much light before you start to see effects. Just feel being consistent is best from a stress aspect.