Acropora12's 20 Gal. Nano Build.

acropora12

Ok, so this is going to be my first ever thoroughly thought through Nano. It will be a long time process since my money right now is towards my car and trip to Costa Rica this July. This is going to be a not only a build thread, but a thread for my questions along the way. So without futher ado, the specs. Tank:
AGA 20 Gallon. Dim:(24" x 16.25" x 12.25" wide)
Rock/Sand:

20-25 lbs. base rock (mixture of tonga branch and some from Key West, Fl.)
10 lbs. Fiji Live Rock (adding later when I have supplies to get it running)
15 lbs. live sand (is this to much or to little?)
Filter:
One of these is what I am looking at:
Penguin 350 Bio-Wheel
Emperor 400
Sump (would this be overkill on a 20? Also it being an AGA I figure it's tempered glass.)
Skimmer:
Looking at these, but i I have a big filter, not sure how it would fit.
Red Sea Prizm Skimmer
65 Gal. Coralife Super SKimmer
Lighting:
Is getting purchased last, but these are what I am looking at.
Nova Extreme SLR T-5 24" 96 watt.
Hamilton Magnetic VHO system 24" 150 watt.
Heater:
(Which one would be better?)
Fluval E-Series 100 watt.
Rena SmartHeater 100 watt.
Water Movement:

2x Koralia 3's
I think I have covered everything. I'm really not sure what lighting to go with though, as it will be the key component to my tank as I want in to be SPS based with the occasions LPS and maybe a softie or two. Also, I am really stummed on how I am going to filter it or if I will need a skimmer or not.
I will post pictureslater tonight on the tank with the BR in it.
Thanks for looking and if you feel like it, following me on this arduous journey.
-Kevin

acropora12

Oh, and I did forget something, the most essential thing in this tank!
Fish:
1x mated pair of Picasso Clowns
Cleanup Crew:
I'm really not sure how much I will need for my size tank, so help with this would be appreciated also. :)

zigster

2 korillia 3s might be a little overkill unless you want to make a wavepool

everything else looks good. cuc i would get 3-4 nass snails, 3-4 turbos, and an emerald crab.

acropora12

Haha, idk I was told that would be ok, but I guess maybe I should downsize lol.
I will be posting pictures tomorrow, as I just got home and I really don't have the patience for my internet (dial-up) right now. :p

atrialfib22

I agree with the Koralias...I have a 2 and a 1 on my 20g and I find it to be just about right. Good luck with the setup stage...it's the most important! And so far everything looks good!

acropora12

Ok, here is a teaser, my com is on dial up so it takes up to like 45 min to upload just one, more to come later tonight, I promise!

acropora12

Dial-up internet, not high speed....it blows. haha.
Also, the light isn't what is staying on the tank it will be changed out for something more powerful, it was just to light the tank up.
-Kevin

acropora12

Also, the light isn't what is staying on the tank it will be changed out for something more powerful, it was just to light the tank up.

tr1gger

Oh btw, The rule of thumb is 1 lb per gallon on LR and LS. Sometimes 1.5lbs to 2lbs can be said for LR. Just lettin ya know. 15lbs would be ok, but i would go for 20.

tr1gger

Originally Posted by Acropora12
http:///forum/post/3044423
Oh, and I did forget something, the most essential thing in this tank!
Fish:
1x mated pair of Picasso Clowns
Cleanup Crew:
I'm really not sure how much I will need for my size tank, so help with this would be appreciated also. :)
Another rule of thumb is 1 crab/snail per gallon. Or so i have been told.
Also i would Def. run a skimmer on this setup.

acropora12

Yeah, I know the rule, this is just some old BR I had laying around, I plan to seed it with some LR when I get the nessesities. I plan to order the filter (Peguin 350)...I love to overkill it sometimes, in two weeks when I get paid again. I wish I could just cycle all my money to this tank, but with fixing up my new car (1993 BMW 525i), maintaining my birds, snakes, and other tank, and paying for my trip to Costa Rica this summer...not to mention being only 17, in a small town. It's hard to get all the money I need fo it. I think I am actually going to get the filter, sand, salt, heater, and a little LR over the next couple weeks or so and letting it cycle then having it a FOWLR for a little bit, then upgrade lighting and start with some corals. I really don't want to rush into things as that is what I did the last couple times with my 10 and 5.5 gal, and they both crashed rather fast. I want to think this stuff through. But I will keep it updated on my progress.
-Kevin