Actinic question

copeseter

Do actinics make the corals color up more or are they just for our viewing pleasure? Why I ask is I run my actinics earlier and later than my halides even when I am not home. I thought if it was just for my enjoyment I would just run them when I am vieiwing. But if they help the corals obtain a better color, I will leave well enough alone. Looking to save energy costs.

lion_crazz

Actinic light is good for corals and coraline algae and help ease the corals into the daylight (halide) lighting.

bang guy

Just my opinion but Actinic lighting is just as bright to corals as the equivalent PAR in a different spectrum. They are as useful as any other spectrum but they are mostly chosen for the aesthetic value - they make corals glow.

aztec reef

and the reason why they glow is: cause actinics like flourecents they produce a short wave uv light that exibits a phosphur to fluoresce producing visible light to the human eye, making corals glow. aka phosphorescence process.
Phosphorescence process.
phosphorescence is a process in which energy absorbed by a substance is released relatively slowly in the form of light.( making it apper "neon" to the human eye)
This applies to any color of fluorescent light.