actinic

dfishh

is it really necesary for actinc spectrum in a reef or is it just for cool look? for my really small nano, all i have is daylite, cuz i dont think they even sell 50 50 bulbs that small. is it ok for corals to have no actinic lite or do sum need it?
DAVE

michaeltx

the blue spectrum penetrates the water better than any other color. the corals can use this spectrum better plus it gives them good colors. the 50/50 bulbs have actinic in them but I dont care for them never got a good color out of them.as far as a have to I think if you have enough lighting going into the tank that it would be alright but I am inno way an wxpert in lighting.
HTH a LIttle
Mike

dfishh

thanks, just wanted to make sure evryting would be okay. i was thinking bout geting a tiny finger leather frag. do u think it would be ok if i put it low in the tank with 13 watts, the tanks only 2.5 gallons so....
DAVE

michaeltx

depends on the kelvin rateing of the bulb watts really isnt a good measurment for light and is used as a general rule that is somewhat outdated.
if the K rating of the bulbs are 6500k or high you should be alright. just be ready to frag cause leathers in general grow very rapidly. but IMO it would be alright.
Mike

bang guy

What species of Leather Coral do you have? That's not going to be enough for some but others will do fine.

dfishh

the box from the bulb did not measure it in Ks, only sed 13 watt and 800 lumens. im not sure wat a lumen is tho. i think the leather was called just a green finger leather coral. i dont have one, i was just thinking of buying one from my lfs
DAVE