Adding live rock

ninjamini

I have about $2k in my tank. Why would I want to risk it. Lets see what can happen from just dropping "cured" rock into your show tank.
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
phosphate
Introduction of:
  • bad snails or nudies
  • ick
  • fireworm
    mantis
    Reasons not to put your "cured" live rock n a tupperware container for a month and monitor:Lazy

ninjamini

I have about $2k in my tank. Why would I want to risk it. Lets see what can happen from just dropping "cured" rock into your show tank.
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
phosphate
Introduction of:
  • bad snails or nudies
  • ick
  • fireworm
    mantis
    Reasons not to put your "cured" live rock n a tupperware container for a month and monitor:Lazy

rbaldino

Originally Posted by ninjamini
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
phosphate
Introduction of:
  • bad snails or nudies
  • ick
  • fireworm
    mantis
You can continue doing things your way, I'll continue doing them my way. I've never had any of the problems you've listed, nor has anyone I know, and I've been at this a lot longer than you have. Lazy has very little to do with it. Again, not everyone has a quarantine tank. Either they don't have the money for the extra setup, or they simply don't have the room. And if this guy were going to set aside 100 pounds of live rock in tupperware, that's one hell of a tupperware container to have sitting in a room.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by Mes1
producta like ammonia detox dont get rid of ammonia completely. they just mask it and make it less fatal....
It will work in emergency situations, which is all it's intended for.

hammerhed7

In the past, when I have wanted to add larger amounts of rock I have always divided into thirds, and waited a week or two inbetween additions. As far as curing or quarantining it depends on where you get the rock.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by rbaldino
I don't think density has a whole lot to do with it. Most of the stuff that's dying, the stuff that you're smelling, is on the surface of the rock. And I've never told anyone that they can't add all their cured rock at once. I only told him not to add a bunch at once if he's concerned that it might not be completely cured. And water changes won't get rid of all the ammonia the way some products like Ammonia-Detox will.

so you're saying that you can put 100 lbs of lr ia the tank as long as it doesn't smell?
why would he be concerned if lr doesn't smell?
there's no remedy in a bottle than can be better than a WC.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
so you're saying that you can put 100 lbs of lr ia the tank as long as it doesn't smell?
why would he be concerned if lr doesn't smell?
there's no remedy in a bottle than can be better than a WC.

Smelling the rock is a good way of determining if it's cured, and I never said he should be concerned if it doesn't smell, only if it does. And yes, a water change will lower ammonia, but unless you change all the water you're not going to get it all out. I have used Ammonia-Detox in emergency situations, and it nuetralizes all of the ammonia as opposed to just removing some of it from the tank the way a water change would.

ninjamini

Keep banging your head. I enjoy it.
  • Some times there will be no cars.
    Some times the cars will swerve and miss you.
But if you do it enough times you will eventually get hit. Now it may just be an annoyance. You may break a leg. Or it could kill you.
You could have played it safe. Most will. Some wont.
Darwin called it natural selection.
Do what you will. I really don't care. But when someone asks what to do I will tell them the best way to do it. You see some people like to play it safe and protect there investment. Some don't care. If space or money is the issue on the cost of a $5 tupperware or two and an extra heater and power head your in the wrong hobby.

ninjamini

Keep banging your head. I enjoy it.
Some people walk out into traffic with out looking.
  • Some times there will be no cars.
    Some times the cars will swerve and miss you.
But if you do it enough times you will eventually get hit. Now it may just be an annoyance. You may break a leg. Or it could kill you.
You could have played it safe. Most will. Some wont.
Darwin called it natural selection.
Do what you will. I really don't care. But when someone asks what to do I will tell them the best way to do it. You see some people like to play it safe and protect there investment. Some don't care. If space or money is the issue on the cost of a $5 tupperware or two and an extra heater and power head your in the wrong hobby.

ptrant

Thanks for all the information...I'm obviously going to have to plan this out before I proceed :thinking:
I certainly don't want to have any problems, I expect the live rock to help my tank not hurt it...

Thanks again

m0nk

Not sure if it helps at this point, but I've seen a noticable difference between cured and uncured live rock. You can tell when rock is in the curing stage and there is die off. A LFS that I frequent sells cured and uncured in bins right next to each other. They look exactly the same. I wouldn't buy it without curing it just for that fact. I don't think they're any different and wouldn't personally want to take the chance hoping that they are.