Adding VHO Retrofit to existing tank

therick

Hello fellow Reefers. I currently have a 55g reef tank with orbit 4x65 power compact lights (10,000k / atinic). I'm planning on upgrading my tank to a 90 gallon tank and would like to add some more lighting. Due to heat issues I'd like to avoid using Metal Halide lights. My other option is adding 2 48" VHO lights which would add an additional 220watts to my current lighting. I've been looking into purchasing one of the VHO retrofit kits. I'd like to see if anyone has done something similar, and if so a little advice. I'm also looking for a good place or maybe name brand to go with. Thanks in advance!
-Therick_

treystang

Originally Posted by THERICK
Hello fellow Reefers. I currently have a 55g reef tank with orbit 4x65 power compact lights (10,000k / atinic). I'm planning on upgrading my tank to a 90 gallon tank and would like to add some more lighting. Due to heat issues I'd like to avoid using Metal Halide lights. My other option is adding 2 48" VHO lights which would add an additional 220watts to my current lighting. I've been looking into purchasing one of the VHO retrofit kits. I'd like to see if anyone has done something similar, and if so a little advice. I'm also looking for a good place or maybe name brand to go with. Thanks in advance!
-Therick_

with an icecap660 you can run 4 48inch bulbs. I would ditch teh PC lighting all together and go with a vho only setup, 2 VHO bulbs will be more light then those pc's are giving you now.

bang guy

The heat issue with MH is just a myth.
VHO is a good lighting system though, and I agree with spending the extra $$ for an Icecap660. Well worth the money.