Additives

jman72

What is the best brand of additives to use? I'm thinking about switching from Brightwell Aquatics to Kent Marine. Any comments?

candycane

Water changes is the best brand to use. If you don't want to do that, I have always liked the Seachem brand. I have found all of their products to be very stable, low precip., and good at maintaining levels for certain periods of time. I try not to dose that often though. I do about 40-50% water changes once a week.
PS: I couldn't really comment on any other brands because I have never used them. Years and years ago someone recommended Seachem and I have used that brand ever since.

candycane

Are you feeding a lot?
You can check out Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium. That is the brand that I have used for a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG time, LOL. Works extremely well in all of my tanks and tide pool systems.

snakeblitz33

Calcium isn't necessarily something that you replace with water changes, you do water changes to remove harmful waste buildup as well as replenish trace elements that are used up in the water column.
Tropic Marin "reef pro" I think it is has a lot of calcium in it. If you truely want to add calcium to your tank, research how to dose with "Kalkwasser." It's nothing more then calcium hydroxide. Follow the directions carefully and drip the solution into the tank over the course of the day.

jman72

I'm not adding only calcium. I'm also adding iodine and a compound that contains soome other trace elements.

bang guy

Originally Posted by jman72
http:///forum/post/2594954
I'm not adding only calcium. I'm also adding iodine and a compound that contains soome other trace elements.
What is your current Iodine level?
Make sure you test what you dose and only dose elements that you test.
Alkalinity is consumed far faster than calcium so make sure you test your alkalinity.

jman72

I test for every possible thing, but I only do ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alk, calcium, and ph every week. I do everything else every two weeks.