Additives?

leopard_babe

I am new at this but I have learned alot. Exactally what kind of additives do you mean? Like a dechlorinator?

stacyt

Correct me if I'm wrong, but It's my understanding that additives are not really needed as long as you do frequent water changes. I havn't added anything to my reef, or FOWLR, in about a year. I used to check calcium, but with frequent water changes it has always stayed about 425. PH stays at 8.2. All the crabs, shrimps, and corals seem to be doing well. I do add some DT's, but thats it.

I'm making a price list of everything I need for my sw 200 gallon so I can know how much money will be required for the set-up from the start. In going through dry goods lists, I noticed the additives and wondered if they were actually worth the money and, if so, which were the best. I want to know everything I can about what is needed for my tank before I start, instead of going out with a set amount of money and discovering I still need this and that. Thanx!

leopard_babe

i might be of some good help to you. I set my tank up about 5 days ago. I had to go and buy evrything. I did exactally what you did and made a list. I left somethings out that I would have never figured out. I have no additives in my tank. However when starting my tank I used tap water and used a dechlorinator. after my tank is established I am using RO water.

birdy

Jillian, the only thing I add to my tank is kalk, dripped in. I do have ph and alk buffer just in case but have only used them a couple times. Water changes and the kalk keep my alk, pH, and Ca in the correct level. I do not add anything to my tank that I cannot test, I am contimplating getting a test for magnesium, strontium and iodine, then you know if you need to add anything, but I have been told many times that water changes should keep Mag, Str. and iodine in the correct levels.
Is this going to be a reef? If so you may want to price a calcium reactor, if you are planning sps, clams and LPS then they will deplete your calcium.

I"m probably going to start it as a FOWLR, and then move it up to a reef. Of course, it may also be a long time until this actually happens, since I work at McD's and all... :rolleyes: Anyhow, always want to be prepared. I'm planning on getting the 200 gallon because there are two different tangs I really like and I heard 180 min. for the two of them, so I'll aim for a 200. The two tangs are the White Cheek and the Black Longnose. :)

bang guy

For a 200 gal FOWLR I recommend not adding anything except food and doing regular water changes.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by Bang Guy
For a 200 gal FOWLR I recommend not adding anything except food and doing regular water changes.

I agree. There's more
than enough trace elements located in your salt mix. Adding more could easily overdose your tank. Dr. Ronald L. Shemik states that Iodine in our aquariums is usually 6x higher than than in the ocean. I also agree with what Birdy stated, which was not to add something if you don't test for it.
Take Care,
Graham