advice on new torch and flower pots

drex

hey all, so i went to my LFS this past weekend and they had a flower pot coral that was as big as a grapefruit before any polyps came out, fully expanded/open it is massive so i picked that up for $50 !!!! and it is the brightest green i have ever seen for flower pots. and also, i picked up a green torch coral that has 3 heads that are almost fully split into 3 head each! so this is a massive torch coral for $65. anyways just wondering if there is any advice for these for me? my flower pots are doing great i have them mid tank kinda mid flow and they are perfect. however my torch seemed to be doing great the first 2 days, and yesterday one of the heads just kinda closed and doesnt look all that healthy..its not white or anything, jus wondering any ideas? i put it at the bottom of my tank its not in a TON of flow but its getting some..i cant really help that in my tank. it is in direct light im not sure if its not getting enough or what? my water parameters are great,everything else in my tank is great im just not sure if i have this placed wrong or if its not enough light etc.. i have power compacts on a 90 gallon all glass tank. i will post pics up as soon as i get a chance any advice on how to manage torch corals would be great.

drex

well being that i only have power compacts i moved it all the way up to the top of my live rock "top 1/3 of the tank" and hoping it does better...should be all better in a few weeks then it goes under metal halides/vho's . any other advice is really appreciated

reefwatcher

Can't give you a lot of help, but I keep my torch under 250 mh and i still keep it about half way up. Occasionally when a fish will brush one of the heads and it will retract, but will usually expand again within a few mins.

drex

well its practically just falling apart around the edges now..dont think its going to make it..which sucks..$60 down the drain. i moved it wayyyy up earlier today ..hopefully it stops and stays where its at even.

ci11337

Did the coral get damaged? It sounds kinda like it might be getting to much flow. How much PC you got on there?

otley 1975

You need to get it in higher flow and watch for brown jelly. If you get brown jelly suck it out and increase the flow, but it's more than likely a goner. There really not that easy to keep. some people have great luck and others can't keep them for a week.

drex

well the one section/ head of it died, but i saved the other 2 bigger heads of it. i had it down low not in to high of flow, but my PC's probably didnt give it enough light..also im pretty stupid and checked everything but my salinity of my water after a water change"had to rush off to work unexpected" and wow it was low
thats what did it im pretty sure..but the torch is doing great now!! and the flower pots always were..i have never seen flower pots available the size that i picked up thanks for all the help people..i wish i could get that other head back on the torch though they are great looking coral..

ci11337

If you sure the head is completely dead just frag it off so it dosen't become an eyesore. Glad you were able to save some of it.

shrimpi

that coral was probably sick before you got it. Even though they arent 'easy' they arent fragile either and it shouldnt fall apart in a matter of a day.
did you check what kind of environment it was in the LFS? I always check what type of flow the coral is in and ask what type of lighting is on the tank so you have some sort of basics to start with.
Sorry for your loss but dont give up!
Jessica

drex

my lfs does not have the greatest water i know mine is wayyyyyy better .they do have metal halides over it but its by far not over powered it could use more. i am going to frag the one part of it but im glad the other 2 bigger heads are alright. it only took one day for the other to die it just fell apart it sucks it was great looking