Advice on what coral to buy??

lbannie

I just sold some stuff on Ebay so now I have some extra money!! I wanted to buy some new corals. I only have t5 lighting. I really want some that really stand out with color. Got new bulbs for Christmas and my other corals are really popping! Any ideas??

gill again68

Well what corals do you have? How much T-5 lighting do you have. With proper placement and enough bulbs you can keep just about anything under T-5s. I have T-5s in my 90.

lbannie

I have a 30 gal tank 4 39 watt T5 bulbs. Corals are ; pulsing xenia, yellow polyps, center clove polyps, mint star polyps, kenya tree, 3 different zoas, pink ricordea, galaxia, green trumpet, green acropora, 2 leathers purple and whitish (that aren't attaching as fast as I want! ;) and a super lime green leather...I think, I'm not sure, it's definitely soft though! I really like when they seem to glow under the lights!

fretfreak13

I think you're missing some zoanthids on that list. ;) Come in every color you could EVER think of, easy to care for, and spread quickly. Also a very cheap coral, IMO.

meowzer

Sounds like you have quite a bit in there already.....
I also have a 4 bulb T5 light set on my 29G....and I have a maxima clam,
IDK what to recommend to you as far as corals....LOL....how about a blastomussa, montipora's,

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie http:///forum/thread/382692/advice-on-what-coral-to-buy#post_3341612
I have a 30 gal tank 4 39 watt T5 bulbs. Corals are ; pulsing xenia, yellow polyps, center clove polyps, mint star polyps, kenya tree, 3 different zoas, pink ricordea, galaxia, green trumpet, green acropora, 2 leathers purple and whitish (that aren't attaching as fast as I want! ;) and a super lime green leather...I think, I'm not sure, it's definitely soft though! I really like when they seem to glow under the lights!
We need pic's

lbannie

Ok here we go.....I gotta learn how to take pics like you guys! My obsessions:

This last pic of the xenia is kind of old....it is much bigger now with 3 new stalks! They pulse too! Hope you like the pics!

fretfreak13

Very pretty. I love how your mandarin is like...HI! in the first pic. Is he eating prepared foods?
A RBTA would really add some color to that tank, that's for sure. Ever think about one for the clowns? How old is your tank?

lbannie

Thanks, my mandarin is pretty curious about everything! If only he would hold still.He eats frozen brine shrimp. Also I buy live copepods, amphipods, and brine shrimp. My tank just turned a year old!!
I had a condy anemone which was pretty, the clarkii clown liked it. But it got sucked into the powerhead and chopped half of its tentacles off! After that it seemed to dwindle away and it died about 2 weeks ago....I had it for 8 months. So I'm a little leery about getting another. What's a RBTA? bubble tip? not sure about the R

fretfreak13

Yeah, rose bubble tip. I have a green BTA with pink dots on the tips that is pretty sweet too. If you're worried about them walking around though, my one clown hosts a frogspawn

flower

Hey guys slow down....Anemones are not corals, they are inverts and in a 30g tank ...only one. It is never for sure a clown will host an anemone, and you have to cover all your power heads. They will eat your fish if they come too close, so read up on them before you put one in the tank.

gill again68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382692/advice-on-what-coral-to-buy#post_3342125

Hey guys slow down....Anemones are not corals, they are inverts and in a 30g tank ...only one. It is never for sure a clown will host an anemone, and you have to cover all your power heads. They will eat your fish if they come too close, so read up on them before you put one in the tank.

Please read up on the parameters for them as well. As mentioned there are many considerations prior to putting an anemone in a tank. Lighting and water quality are 2 of the top as well as what you will keep with it. As mentioned you will also want to cover those power heads. If you dont you could have anemone soup on your hands. That brings a whole bunch of issues into play. READ READ READ.

lbannie

Yes I know anemones are inverts. I just wasn't sure what a RBTA was. I learned my lesson the hard way with my condy anemone. I have no intention of getting another one.

lbannie

Does it move a lot? My condy moved sometimes....and then the time it moved too close to the powerhead
Have any experience with elegance corals? I was just reading about them.....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie http:///forum/thread/382692/advice-on-what-coral-to-buy#post_3342327
Does it move a lot? My condy moved sometimes....and then the time it moved too close to the powerhead
Have any experience with elegance corals? I was just reading about them.....

All anemones move. Cover the power heads and hope they choose a spot where you can enjoy them, and they are not stinging coral.
Elegance is a real nice coral but it gets big, you have to make sure it is far away from other corals. Lay it on it's side not straight up.