Aggressive Coral Banded Shrimp

pixiefish

I don't know the temperament of a coral banded and whether this is normal or not but I've observed him making charges at fish that come to close. Is he trying to catch and eat one or drive it away? Do they catch and eat small fish? Should I be worried about my firefish, the clowns or my chromises? I bought a green clown goby here a few weeks ago and it disappeared. Never even found the body. So since it was new did it ended up shrimp food during the night?

jackri

Mine just flares at fish that get too close to him.. but in 3 years he's never hurt anything. I also doubt he has the ability to bring down a fish... just a lot of flare and show but mine has been harmless.

pixiefish

Well, that's good to know. It just that when a new fish disappears within two days. You begin to wonder if it's possible. Probably died from new fish stress and the CUC took care of the body. Yay! For the CUC!

jackri

CUC gets blamed for a lot as they are the ones seen eating the bodies.. not necessarily the cause.

shyshko08

I dont know about this Coral Bandit Shrimp. Mine was evil if it wasnt fed. I got rid of the thing, and traded it in for a peppermint shrimp. In my opinion, they are far from peaceful, but who knows, maybe its different for each one. If I were you, I get rid of it. Take my advice, you'll be happy you did.

joe____17

Coral banded shrimps are the A-holes of shrimps. IMO, i had one once and it get pinchng my fish and was very agressive towards anything.

jtrzerocool

simple solution to CBS's agression = FEEDING IT PROPERLY...
you may see it still flare at fish, but it will not ever take one down...mine flares at fish all the time and mine is HUGE...but as long as they are fed properly then you wont have to worry...he will defend his territory but not kill a fish just to eat...

meowzer

Originally Posted by jtrzerocool
http:///forum/post/3030828
simple solution to CBS's agression = FEEDING IT PROPERLY...
you may see it still flare at fish, but it will not ever take one down...mine flares at fish all the time and mine is HUGE...but as long as they are fed properly then you wont have to worry...he will defend his territory but not kill a fish just to eat...
what do you consider proper feeding???

jtrzerocool

Proper feeding = feeding your CBS every time that you feed your fish...for me its every other day...
you may need to use a feeding stick to ensure that the food ends up in front of the shrimp...

meowzer

Originally Posted by jtrzerocool
http:///forum/post/3031858
Proper feeding = feeding your CBS every
time that you feed your fish...for me its every other day...
you may need to use a feeding stick to ensure that the food ends up in front of the shrimp...
Well I was curious because I had 2 before and they were never aggressive, and I just fed the tank...and apparently they were getting enough to eat....
I'm getting another one, and that's why I asked...

b-diddles

Well my CBS was and is still aggressive. I had posted this question before. He launches out trying to catch fish. He has clipped some of them in this process. I have found that feeding him directly helps quit a bit (but still is aggressive just not as much). I will feed him shrimp pellets, silversides, ghost shrimp (which he will catch on his own) or even freshwater fish that he will catch on his own. My openion is YES, if he had the oportunity to catch a saltwater fish he would take them down and eat them. The only reason he can catch a freshwater one is that they are disorented from the salt and swim reflecting this. There are times when he is very peacefull and others he is not. I believe that the times when he is are times when the food source is well for him. Hope this helped.

windlasher

Originally Posted by B-DIDDLES
http:///forum/post/3033964
Well my CBS was and is still aggressive. I had posted this question before. He launches out trying to catch fish. He has clipped some of them in this process. I have found that feeding him directly helps quit a bit (but still is aggressive just not as much). I will feed him shrimp pellets, silversides, ghost shrimp (which he will catch on his own) or even freshwater fish that he will catch on his own. My openion is YES, if he had the oportunity to catch a saltwater fish he would take them down and eat them. The only reason he can catch a freshwater one is that they are disorented from the salt and swim reflecting this. There are times when he is very peacefull and others he is not. I believe that the times when he is are times when the food source is well for him. Hope this helped.
you do realize that feeding FW fish to SW fish is not a good thing?