air bubbles ! Help !?!

ilovemytank

I've never had this before. There aren't any air bubbles in my tank or water but after awile air bubbles are forming on the back glass and upper rocks. They stay there in place. If I brush them with my hand or a brush they float up and out. Then about twleve hours later the bubbles are back. How do think they are getting there or what is causing them ?

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2818529
Not an expert, but check the flow of your protein skimmer (if you have one)
Definately not the flow of the skimmer ( Octopus 200 ) Usually if the skimmer is putting microbubbles into the tank you would see them> There aren't any bubbles floating in my tank that I can see. Wierd ! I wish this was the answer because its simple. I have recently added a new refugium but I can't see how this could cause this either.

rednecktified

I would like to see a pic of ur fuge. If it is anything like mine, when I built it, i had micro bubbles, I wound up buying round 12in. long sponges and cutting them length wise and putting them over the baffle walls...walla. cured the problem..I took a lucky guess with that, because i didn't see any bubbles down there either. try it. might suprise you.

jwagne267

From my experience and understanding that is actually just a by product of the algae on the rocks their. It goes away once it is done, but may flare up if you are cyclign your tank or use water that is not RO. You may also get it on the sand too. Don't worry after a while it will go away.

I personally would check your Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite levels. I have found that bubbles form during times of higher levels.

username.

since its not coming from micro bubles form your fuge or skimmer id defenatly from the algae id say to fix the algae problem and the bubbles shold go away but everytime you pop the bubbles more algae spores get released into your water and spread which means more bubbles, but like most said earlier check your levels and figure out where that algae is getttin its food from and fix it and no more algae no more bubbles