Airforce...

monalisa

So, you wondered about the skimmer that I bought. Are you familiar with it? Pro-Pak HOB. The description and the pic of the skimmer looked to be just what I'm looking for for my set up. Hopefully it'll work.
What I'm doing with the stuff that I can't use for my display tank, everything is going into my 20gal QT...when I get THAT set up.
Lisa :happyfish

O

oceangrl11

is someone else here airforce besides me? i dont remember asking about a skimmer?

airforceb2

I'm honestly not familiar with that skimmer. I'm going to guess it is related to the Bak-Pak but beefier??
I'm looking into getting a little 10gal for my QT until I move to a different house, then the 10gal will be my fuge.
Good luck with everything...and again...the tank looks great.

O

oceangrl11

Ah. No not me, my husband is AD. He is a student pilot at Columbus AFB MS....north of bilouxi about 20 min from MS/AL border. Just moved all our stuff up here about a month ago. Having fun getting my tank started....again....lost all my algae on the move....you know how that goes.....

monalisa

Airforce meet Oceangirl....Oceangirl meet Airforce...
Glad I could be of assistance :)

airforceb2

Trust me, I do. I've been here for 5 years now so I haven't done much moving but I have been deployed a few times so I have been up with the moving thing.

monalisa

I did a little more research on the skimmer that I'm (still!!) waiting for. It's an Odysea pro-pack, I think, as I said I don't have it yet, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. It seems to me that the Odysea skimmers are pretty middle of the road...I can live with that. At this point, I just want something that's user friendly and works half-way decent. :scared:

fishmamma

Lisa, when is your skimmer due to arrive?
Wanted to give a big ol' THANKS to all you airforce folks out there for all that you do here and abroad!

monalisa

Originally Posted by fishmamma
Wanted to give a big ol' THANKS to all you airforce folks out there for all that you do here and abroad!

Here, here!!!
Fishmamma, actually I was disappointed that it wasn't here after work today. I posted this elsewhere, to you actually under the getting fish this weekend thread. I decided to go with the 6-line after I noticed a very healthy pod outbreak in my tank last night, and that should keep him very happy. Also, I'm going to add both together since they've been in the same tank for at least 2 weeks now and seem happy. As far as acclimating...hmmm...I'll need to think this through in case I need to separate them, but I'll come up with something, I'm sure...well, if I need to separate them during acclimation, then I guess one's going back!!

fishmamma

If they are currently in the same tank I would hope they would be OK together, just as long as they both had enough space. What do you use to acclimate? If you are short on buckets you could pick up an extra before getting the fish. I have a couple of the white plastic paint buckets from Home Depot, maybe a couple of dollars each, will hold a gallon or two of water. The wrasse is very cool fish, I am sure you will be thrilled with your decision!!

monalisa

Thanks fishmamma,
You always are able to make me feel comfortable with my decisions. I always try to weigh responses here, and then make my decisions based on those responses.
I have plenty of buckets to acclimate my new residents separately. I actually keep 4 buckets on hand, 2 for changes (1 for water out, 1 for mixing new water), and then I have 2 extras. One I've used for acclimating my critters, and that other one really hasn't been used for anything at this point...sounds like an acclimation bucket to me.
I'll let you know how things go...won't be getting the new guys til Sunday probably. Saturday, water change, cleaning, and testing.

fishmamma

Almost forgot to share this with you.....when at LFS the other day I asked about the wrasse eating all the little stars and critters in your rock. She didn't seem to think that was always the case if that makes you feel any better. I am so toying with putting a 4-line on my wish list. That or maybe a Jawfish instaed of a shrimp goby for Big Dig.. Too many cool fish to choose from and I hate to upset the happiness in my tank.
Big Dig actaully is starting come right out into the tank when I feed the angel and clown for some chow. They all love that frozen Formula Two.

monalisa

I'll remember that, I feel bad, cuz with my clowns being the only ones in the tank, besides my cleanup crew, I've only been giving them flake. Sorry, but I'm looking to give them some variety to keep them happy.
Thanks again, you're great, and so is this site. I'm really getting pumped for this weekend and putting some new life into my tank. Next thing...'shrooms or zoos, 3-4 weeks though.

fishmamma

Oh shrooms and zoos next, FUN FUN!!
I just find it funny how all of my fish fight over the garlic. Who knew?
Yes, isn't this a great board? I have really enjoyed keeping up with you and sharing our progress together! :jumping:

monalisa

Ok, that's another question, garlic. Where do you get that, how do you use it. I'm not reallly familiar yet with the different kinds of foods for these guys. Hmmm...sounds like many, many "hey fishmamma" posts down the road. :cheer:
Thanks again,

O

oceangrl11

Garlic? LOL. what eats that? I have two clowns in my tank and a pygmy.

farmboy

I mixed my flake with garlic powder(just a smidge) and put a little hot water in the lid to mix it all up. When i fed this to my clowns, they loved it! The crabs were diving off of the rocks to get to the bottom in an attempt to catch the "garlic spiked flake" flowing around the tank. Very cool! :jumping:
Hey Fishmamma, is it true that garlic helps fishes immune system? I know they really like it. Fun to watch! :happyfish