Airwaterice RO/DI Home/Reef Owners

tangman99

Beth,
I don't have anywhere to put it near the water line behind the refrigerator. The only place in the kitchen is under the sink. The only way to get from the sink to the fridge is going up through the cabinet into the roof and down the wall behind the fridge. They are opposite sides of the kitchen.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, that's my set up too. Fortunately, my dinning is right behind the fridge in an adjacent room, so I could run the line thru there.
What's on the other side of the wall with the fridge?

tangman99

My bedroom. I don't think looking at an RO/DI unit and garbage can would be mood setting scenery if you know what I mean. ;)
I've also tried to get some help from Walter at airwaterice, but I have not heard back from him. I do not have a lot luck with emails to them for some reason.

foxthorn

Beth...
Do you know if I put the whole RO/DI with tank under my sink if I can then run a long (~10 feet) hose from the DI to my basement collection container. The length of travel would be all heading down hill. I'm thinking that the length shouldn't matter as long as gravity is working on it... right?

rane

Foxhorn,
I have the same unit and almost the same setup, you should not have any problems at all it will even have a better flow rate if its going down hill, I have mine going up hill about 6 feet and it works fine

P

patrick g.

So is the black plastic piece that shipped on top of the metal tank supposed to go underneath it, as a stand, when in use? Or is it just discarded?

dreeves

Beth in re: to your reply to Patrick G..
Doesn't you extra supply line (reef) come out of the end of the DI cylinder? If it doesn't it should.
I think what the h2o dude was referring to with the full effect of the DI...was the lower pressure leaves the dwell time in the resins for longer absorbtion time.
I am wanting to completely seperate the two systems...as was what I believed it to be. I want the reef portion to go directly from the membrane to the di and out, and the drinking to go from the membrane to the final carbon then onto the holding tank/faucet. Wonder how I will be able to do that.
Oh and also in regards to the water tests...I did test my two tanks after the ro/di...cant get any good readings yet as I have re-cycled both with in the past 2 months due to different filtration configurations...now I am in the process of plumbing both systems through the floor to the basement for easier access...room to expand, etc. Already have one done, waiting on the overflow from lifereef for the other. The water directly out of the RO/DI tested pure.

pyro383

You can use the blacl plastic as the stand for more stability since it provides more surface contact.

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by TangMan99
My bedroom. I don't think looking at an RO/DI unit and garbage can would be mood setting scenery if you know what I mean. ;)
I've also tried to get some help from Walter at airwaterice, but I have not heard back from him. I do not have a lot luck with emails to them for some reason.

Tang, that would depend. If your significant other was into fish tanks as much as me, you might be suprized how exciting an RO on the wall could be! LOL
I had some problems with emails to him too. Try calling. But, still I don't think running the tube up thru the ceiling would be good....the water is already slowed down as it is. Perhaps it won't matter. If you go that route, let us know how it turns out. I'm sure that that info would apply to all RO systems, so it could be valuable to know for others, no matter what system you get.

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by foxthorn
Beth...
Do you know if I put the whole RO/DI with tank under my sink if I can then run a long (~10 feet) hose from the DI to my basement collection container. The length of travel would be all heading down hill. I'm thinking that the length shouldn't matter as long as gravity is working on it... right?

I see absolutely no problem with that at all. You can also get a float valve for this system so that you don't have to keep an eye on fish tank water collection. The fish tank componet can run directly to a sump for top-off with the float valve, or into a collection container; and, of course, you can just move the tube from one spot to the other depending on whehter you want to collect water or do top off in the sump.
BTW: Any brand RO/DI can be set up this way. Airwaterice's system are presented in an appealing way to accomodate both home drinking water as well as tank water, but I also checked with Spectrapure and Kent and they have basically the same systems with the same configurations if that is what you want. The deciding factor for me was PRICE. Which was a big difference. I have a 6 filter system for $200, compared to Spectrapure which was $500, and Kent which was $400. Check the prices yourself for the actual filters/membrances if you bought them from the manufacture directly. The rest of the system is just housing and tubing, so what exactly are you paying for with any of these systems? The filters and membranes.

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by Patrick G.
So is the black plastic piece that shipped on top of the metal tank supposed to go underneath it, as a stand, when in use? Or is it just discarded?

Yeah, that is a stand for the water tank. It sits right on it.

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by dreeves
Beth in re: to your reply to Patrick G..
Doesn't you extra supply line (reef) come out of the end of the DI cylinder? If it doesn't it should.
Yeah it does.
I think what the h2o dude was referring to with the full effect of the DI...was the lower pressure leaves the dwell time in the resins for longer absorbtion time.
Agree.
I am wanting to completely seperate the two systems...as was what I believed it to be. I want the reef portion to go directly from the membrane to the di and out, and the drinking to go from the membrane to the final carbon then onto the holding tank/faucet. Wonder how I will be able to do that.
That is how it goes. Why do you need to reconfigure?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
BTW: I installed a GFI at that outlet since taking the pic for safety sake. :D

dreeves

Both my systems go through the final carbon and to the holding tank. I wanted them completely seperate where I do not drain or have to close the tank off to run the water through the DI on to the reef. In other words..I want someone to be able to fill a coffee pot while I am making water for the fish.

dreeves

Looking at your picture Beth...yours is setup the same way. Your DI cartridge is fed from the final carbon filter.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, when you are collecting tank water, you can't draw out drinking water. Which I don't quite understand, becasue the drinking water tank is already filled with water, so why can't you drain it from there?
Have any idea why the water won't just come out of the drinking tank? Pressure closed off? That is a hassle. If you figure it out and come up with a solution, let me know.