al gore strikes again!

salty blues

I saw on the news today where the new energy bill passed by congress & the prez will make incandescent lamps illegal in 4 years. If so, that $3.00 strand of Christmas lights at wild mart will cost $30.00+ for LED or other new technology. More enviro-wacko knee jerk paranoia.

mie

I voted for bush.
anyways I think gore would have been worse.
These presidents have to many personal agendas.

triga22

I think bush gets to much crap. Not an easy presidency(sp?). I dont love him but I dont hate him. The media just makes everything else worse.

mike22cha

Well flourescants actualy save you money in the long run. Incadesants only last a couple of months, fluorescents last years(as long as you don't get the cheap ones from China).
Trust me, we got a week lecture from our science teacher about them, and he's a hard core Republican.
I find nothing wrong trying to be more effectinate, but I think making it illegal is a lil too far. It'd be better if they slowly decreased the amounts of incadescents that just taking them out completely.

mie

I agree conserve energy, buy smart products, but don't terrorize people into buying into these policies.

triga22

I agree, we need to find a safe,non harmful,economic way other than gas. People educate about it but dont take the time to try it. Less talk more work.

triga22

Yes. Its also safe. I recal a while back bush said whoever finds the best way or somthinanother they will get pay like 1-20 million. Too long ago dont remember exact.

renogaw

you think mercury levels are high now?
wait till 3 or 4 years from now everyone is throwing out their spiral pc light bulbs...

mie

Originally Posted by renogaw
you think mercury levels are high now?
wait till 3 or 4 years from now everyone is throwing out their spiral pc light bulbs...
Ok i am dumb....Please elaborate reno?

reefraff

LED Xmas lights are already out there so it isnt a big deal price wise. I have like 20 boxes of christmas lights I aint even opened yet so it really wont effect me.
PC lamps wont cause the increae in Mercury people assume. Over their rated life they will save enough power that the decrease in Mercury output fro the power plants will more than offset any released back into the environment by broken lamps.

natemd

I thought that they were starting to phase them out in like 2010 or 2012, I can't remember but they should be completely gone by 2014. However, the new light bulbs should save about 10% a year on your electric bill which for me it would save about $120( i pay about $100 a month) but for someone who has a two or three hundred dollar bill a month they would be crazy not to switch. Just my opinion.

renogaw

Originally Posted by mie
Ok i am dumb not dumb, uninformed :)....Please elaborate reno?

flourescent light bulbs, including PC/T5's, the spiral flourescents, NO flourescents, all the bulbs in commercial, etc, are manufactured using murcury in them. that's why you're not supposed to throw them out, but return them to facilities that will dispose of them properly.
reefraff, to say that mercury levels won't rise is crazy. how many people do you really think will return them instead of just throwing them in the trash?

salty blues

Originally Posted by reefraff
LED Xmas lights are already out there so it isnt a big deal price wise. I have like 20 boxes of christmas lights I aint even opened yet so it really wont effect me.
PC lamps wont cause the increae in Mercury people assume. Over their rated life they will save enough power that the decrease in Mercury output fro the power plants will more than offset any released back into the environment by broken lamps.
Well it ain't just Christmas lights of course. It's all incandescents & many incandescent fixtures will not accomodate the threaded base spiral flourescent lamps as they are too big. So, you will have to purchase a new fixture & throw the old one in the landfill.

salty blues

Originally Posted by renogaw
flourescent light bulbs, including PC/T5's, the spiral flourescents, NO flourescents, all the bulbs in commercial, etc, are manufactured using murcury in them. that's why you're not supposed to throw them out, but return them to facilities that will dispose of them properly.
reefraff, to say that mercury levels won't rise is crazy. how many people do you really think will return them instead of just throwing them in the trash?
Touche'