Algae? or something else

4clownfish

I have these brown spots appearing on one side of my tank and spreading to the other.
Pic-

Algae?
I have a 20 gallon tank with 121watts of 10000k lighting
water quality is good
Fish do eat alot. (possible cause)

4clownfish

Filtration - Aqua clear 50, 60gal. rated protien skimmer
Clean up crew - 3 emerald crabs and a blue leg hermit crab
my emerald crabs like to decapitate halloween hermit crabs.
*10 jade hermits and 10 snails on the way tomorrow.

meowzer

What type of snails? You really need a good sand cleaning snail...what other fish are in the tank?

4clownfish

I have 10 Nassarius snails that are going to be here tomorrow.
Fish count is 7-
2 false percula clownfish - grown
2 true percula clownfish - young
2 Sgt. major fish - one big one tiny
1 Flame cardinal
I also have a skunk shrimp

meowzer

are you serious? I do not know a lot, but I think you may have too many fish...you did say a 20g right? ANd 4 clowns? I didn't know what a sgt major fish was, so I looked it up and it said they can get to be 6"
That may be your problem..

4clownfish

They seem to cope with the space they have. The big Sgt. major is about 2.25" to 2.5".
How big do clownfish get? These are only about 1.75".
I will post some pics

meowzer

Originally Posted by 4Clownfish
http:///forum/post/2998026
They seem to cope with the space they have. The big Sgt. major is about 2.25" to 2.5".
How big do clownfish get? These are only about 1.75".
I will post some pics
They may be "Coping" as you put it, do they have a choice...They are going to grow...I think maybe someone else needs to chime in...and offer some advice...Like I said..I think that's too many fish in a 20g..

4clownfish

-the tank has about a 1/5 more on the right of the picture..

Maybe it is to small. But what are those spots? They are appearing on everything from my substrate to living things.
**the spots are where the picture does not show** They are on the bottom right of the tank.

meowzer

some type of algae....You do know you are not supposed to have more than 2 clowns in a tank don't you?

4clownfish

They like each other. Rubbing there side's on one another. Very rare occasion they will get fiesty, but its only one spur of the moment thing. It could be the color variation between the false and true percula. yellow and orange

meowzer

http:///forum/post/2998041
A month or so. I put about half of the live rock in a week ago. It was cured and It looked ok to put in.
Did you even cycle this tank before you loaded it with fish?????

http:///forum/post/2998043
I'm thinking the algae is from the rock with the crab on it. Its color is close to the algae spots.

The problems you are having is from a tank that was not ready!!!

4clownfish

It was cycled. It went from having little ammonia to none. with the nitrites and nitrates going from some to very little. I recently installed the protein skimmer. Would a tank that has been cycled for a few weeks without the skimmer effect it being changed with one?
-On a algae basis

4clownfish

It's a difficult question. But would snails and hermit crabs help clean this up? I tried to stir the sand bed, but it had little effect on slowing down the spots.

4clownfish

No, 3 fish, then I put 4 more in. They went in QT when I got the live rock and treated them with percautionary measures to make sure they had enough slim and immunity before I put them back in with the new live rock.
Water has been tested. Everything is great. No ammonia, nitrites, little nitrates. But calcium is crazy high.

meowzer

Snails will help clean the sand, BUT In my honest opinion, I think you need to get rid of some of your fish....Like I said before....maybe someone else will help out....