Algae question

veronica

We started getting this algae, its not normal algae that scrapes off the tank easily or that the snails can get off the glass. It is these little green dots on the glass and they are even next to impossible to get off by scraping them. My arms are killing me and they are taking over our tank. Any suggestions? :help:

texag04

I feel your pain. I've been dealing with this stuff for the last month. Im getting tired of explaining to people what it is when they say, "man your tank is very dirty." My snails cant get it and yes my arms are killing me. I've been told it is coraline. It's a good sign that you are doing somethng right, but it is such a pain in the butt. I've been told the only cure is time. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

bang guy

I agree that it's coralline. If you have an algae magnet and run it over the entire display every couple/few days then it shouldn't be able to attach.
***** cards seem to scrape it off safely.

stillfrodo

IMO its what Bang said it appears to be corraline. Eventually you get the pinks and purples encrusting the sides and back of your tank. I take a straight razor with a holder thats generally used for scraping wall paper and scrape mine off the front of the tank. I left it alone on the sides and back. It has encrusted over on itself many times over forming plates. Also anything you scrape off the front of the glass will seed elsewhere and your LR.

veronica

:notsure: Bang Guy..............whats an algae magnet and where do i get one. I'll have to try the ***** card!!!

bang guy

Look over to your left in Dry Goods under magnets.
One goes inside and one goes outside. You move the outside magnet to glean the algae off the glass inside.

veronica

Haaahaaaa........Isn't that the truth!! Do you have one of these magnets? Do they do their job in your opinion?

timsedwards

I have a magnifloat, do a great job at keeping the glass clean, not very good for hard corraline or hard algae, but good at preventing.
Tim.

jeepboy

I second the magfloat. They are great....as long as u use them often. As a bonus my blenny likes to sit on it.