Algae Question

KHow

What is this fuzzy algae? How can I limit its growth?
36g
Some corals
Goby
Damsels
Water changes once a month.. Usually like 30%
All tests in range, don't have actual numbers
It seems like it is only growing, high in the water column, closest to the light source.

Attachments

lmforbis

That is probably hair algae. If you have algae you have nitrates and phosphates. In a newer tank (a year or less) it tends to cycle sometimes it grows great sometimes not at all. Best solution is to reduce nutrients. GFO woks well for phosphate. Nitrate I just do water changes. It can help to use a power head or turkey baster to blow ditritus off the rocks. What kind of filter do you use?

bang guy

People blame filament algae on all sorts of stuff from old lights to clogged filters. In every case I have worked on it was an issue with excess nutrients.

Either find a way to reduce the nutrients you put in the system (less feeding) or increase the nutrients you take out of the system (algae scrubber, Xenia export, better skimmer, larger water changes).

lmforbis

You can also do a hang on the back fuge, if the sump is going to be difficult. Personally I like the sump because it is a place to hide equipment. Also easy to maintain. Of course I can't get anything to grow in my fuge except my exiled maroon clown and lots of pods.

KHow

I currently run a HOB power filter and a protein skimmer. Building a dump won't be hard, I just need to get the overflow right...

deejeff0442

Just get a hob reactor and run phosphate remover.
All I do and after the initial algae new tank at 3 months all I get is the little on the glass