Algae Starfish

sml2

I want to get a new starfish that will eat algae of the waste of other fish. I have a smaller tank so I need a smaller starfish. Can you tell me names so I can look for one that will work best in my aquarium ? Thanks !

sml2

Why snails my tank is established and has been doing well for the past three months

meowzer

Because snails are the best clean up crew for algaes and waste
why not answer any of the questions I have asked you??? 3 months is NOT an established tank....just trying to help you here

snakeblitz33

The size tank and livestock have a lot to do with what starfish you can get. So, I would also like to know the answers to Meowzers questions.
I also recommend getting a variety of snails rather than a starfish. While starfish are cool to watch, most starfish are unsuited for home aquaria. Eventually, they will starve to death. Most starfish are filter feeders, coral eaters or detrivores. Detrivores mean that they eat the microbes, waste and microfauna that is in the sandbed. Besides asterina starfish, I have never known a starfish to eat algae.
If you have an algae problem, I suggest reading about how to get rid of that particular algae. Each algae has a different way of how to get rid of it. I suggest that you take this approach.

snakeblitz33

Oh, and I also wanted to say WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!! WOOT WOOT!!! I'm glad you decided to come here, and I hope you enjoy your stay!!!!!!

sml2

Thanks ! Ok I don't have an algae issue at all I just heard that's what they eat besides the waste of other fish.
I have a 3G tank and only one small Clown Fish.
What does it exactly mean filter feed ? Feed off the organisms in the H2o ?
I saw a starfish that hangs out in the sand that eats all the waste in the sand ? Would that be ok..
I defiantly don't want a coral eating starfish they eat too much !
What kind of snails & I saw a sea slug that was beautiful could that work too ?