algae

birdy

Sounds like cyanobacteria, there are tons and tons of threads about this, do a search for cyanobacteria, or red slime algae.

cindyski

Originally posted by hp65
it that a bad thing

yea. you could search my algae thread and maybe you will get some better info

hp65

so i should point a powerhead at the rock what about where it is near my corals polyps and shrooms is there anything else i can do to help make it go away

dbgt

If the algae is flapping around in the current then it is cyanobacteria but if its hard and won't move its a type of coraline algae.:)

hp65

its cyano butwhat can i do to get rid of it i put in another powerhead which seems to be helping a little

knoxville

I have the same stuff in my tank, I was told to use chemiclean, but I haven't tried it yet. I have 3 pwr heads in my 50 g, but it doesn't make a difference.

fmelindy

Just wanted to post my experience with chemiclean for the record. I had a huge cyano problem - worst I've ever seen in any pictures on this message board. It was over everything - all the LR and substrate, even starting to grow up the glass. My LFS suggested chemiclean and I used it as recommended on the bottle. A little over 24 hours later - NOT A TRACE OF CYANO IN MY ENTIRE AQUARIUM. I kid you not. Great stuff! Works as advertised! Didn't harm anything in the tank and I had an assortment of fish, inverts, and corals when I did this. So, if you run out of options or just get too frustrated, give chemiclean a try!

donmgicwon

Originally posted by DBGT
If the algae is flapping around in the current then it is cyanobacteria but if its hard and won't move its a type of coraline algae.:)

The picture you posted - is that dark red stuff cyano?

dbgt

I wouldn't use any chemicals I would buy some snails that eat cyano. Do you have phosphate or silica in your water? because if you do that might be where it is coming from.Use an ro/di or deionizer on your water supply.Once your tank water runs out of phosphate and silica the cyano will die.:)

dbgt

thats a sign of a healthy aquarium. Its also an indicator of pollution levels, if you see it dying check your ammonia,nitrite and nitrate levels.:)

donmgicwon

Originally posted by DBGT
thats a sign of a healthy aquarium. Its also an indicator of pollution levels, if you see it dying check your ammonia,nitrite and nitrate levels.:)

Nitrates are 0 but Phosphates are rising. I'm thinking about getting a mangrove just to put in my DT since I don't have a fuge.