Alk tests question

dark angel

the test kit we have for alk, came with Ph and Alk, but our Alk chart, just have 3 levels on it, that is low normal and high, what kind or brand of test is it that give you an actual number??
I've looked at all 3 of our LFS and there all the same as the 2 we've bought. Thanks

broomer5

Get a "titration" type of test kit such as Salifert - and you'll get your number you're loking for :yes:

dark angel

Thanks :D ... Ours always reads in the normal range, but when i says its normal, people usually want a number. LOL
Does this really matter if my ph is fine and the alk reads within the normal range does the actual number really matter ??

bang guy

For a fish only aquarium the Normal indication of ALK might be OK. Not ideal, but OK.
For reef aquariums a balance between ALK & Calcium needs to be maintained and to do that you need actual numbers.

dark angel

hummm, ok, thanks for the info, we do have a reef tank, well the beg of one anyway. Going to pick up a cal test kit this week being that we got a coral in there now. I know (or think i know) that the ideal cal is 350 - 400 ppm (right ??) but what is the ideal Alk?? besides normal? LOL Thanks in advance.
Oh, and right now, we have in the tank ....
2 perc clowns
1 yellow tail blue damsel
bulb anemone
colt coral
green striped mush (only 2)
19 blue leg hermits (one lost his shell ....)
1 anemone crab, 1 emerald crab, 1 horseshoe crab,
and 2 turbo snails.
All seem to be doing wonderful, and we have been giving supplements for them. Just need to know what the ideal cal and alk would be. Thanks and have a lovely day :D

bang guy

Originally posted by Dark Angel
I know (or think i know) that the ideal cal is 350 - 400 ppm (right ??) but what is the ideal Alk?? besides normal?

Here's a post by Kip that shows balanced levels. Above 400 for Calcium is good. But I recommend 420 - 430ppm.
Ca - ALK Chart