All live sand or aragonite?

drew2005

Getting ready to set up my 75 rimless. What do you guys think? Not going to do a dsb. Probably 2-3 inches max. All live or just caribsea or an equivelant?

fixpc

In my opinion live sand is a waste of money unless you're getting it directly from a active tank the stuff you buying bags is barely alive so basically you're paying for a lot of water weight. I would start off with basic aragonitet dry sand

flower

I disagree, the bacteria rich live sand is not as good as reef sand you get from SWF...but it's it's still better than dry agragonite sand. Don't get crushed coral. Dry Aragonite sand is just fine. No matter what you use, you still have to cycle the tank, there is no getting around that.
Rocks go in first and sand around it...You should not build on shifting sand, you can crush critters, or have a rock slide that breaks the tank.

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2005 http:///t/390348/all-live-sand-or-aragonite#post_3456083
Getting ready to set up my 75 rimless. What do you guys think? Not going to do a dsb. Probably 2-3 inches max. All live or just caribsea or an equivelant?
If you start the tank with live thriving macro algae (in a refugium) or even an algae truf scrubber, the substrate you use is not relevant.
Whether live sand, dead sand, aragonite, crushed coral, oyster shells, or even silica play sand, the algae will maintain the tank regardless. If done correctly you will experience not ammonia/nitrItes spikes but can have an initial nitrate spike.
Actually the same applies to live rock as well.
Still the live rock and live sand you buy from this site are useful. Just that IMHO thriving macro algaes trump them.
my .02

fixpc

hi flower
my problem with the live sand that are in bags is what organism is going to live in a sealed plastic bag with no air, no food barely any light for six months on a shelf. There's probably some bacteria it you can get 10 times more bacteria in someone's used filter floss. Real Live sand should have worms and copepods and other cool looking stuff in it that's real live sand.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixpc http:///t/390348/all-live-sand-or-aragonite#post_3456119
hi flower
my problem with the live sand that are in bags is what organism is going to live in a sealed plastic bag with no air, no food barely any light for six months on a shelf. There's probably some bacteria it you can get 10 times more bacteria in someone's used filter floss. Real Live sand should have worms and copepods and other cool looking stuff in it that's real live sand.
LOL..The same is said of coral food....That is why I said it was not as good as reef sand like you would get from SWF.com, but it does have at least something which is better than nothing. The problem is people don't want to wait for a cycle...even with live reef sand the tank has to cycle.
Most of us starting out do not have exposed filter floss on hand. I personally like the live sand in a bag better than the dry...no cloud of micro dust so it settles right away. I love the reef sand from SWF...it's the best choice.

drew2005

Im not trying to avoid a cycle or anything like that. I just wanna do this setup better than my current setup. I guess i could go all dry and seed it with some of my sand from my current set up. Ill save a few bucks.
I do see what your saying about it being water weight. And honestly most of the bacteria is probably dead anyway.
That being said whats a good quality sand to buy. Caribsea?

fixpc

Caribsea is fine just remember Rocks first then sand and for shallow bed 1 inch should be fine.

drew2005

Sugar sized........Live reef sand from SWF is the very best...live aragonite sand is good, and dry aragonite sand is good (be sure to rinse it)

Thanks for the help. :)

drew2005

Flower do u mean the premium keys live sand from this site? If so, it seems really pricey for 20lbs.

bang guy

IMO 3" of sand is a DSB.
My suggestion would be to use dry aragonite for most of your sand bed. After the tank has cycled add a box of the premium live sand.

drew2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/390348/all-live-sand-or-aragonite#post_3456512
How bout no sand? Just throwing that out there too. :D
I have thought about that but i kinda like the natural look of sand. I have seen some really sick looking bare bottoms though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///t/390348/all-live-sand-or-aragonite#post_3456520
20 pounds of live sand isn't going to disrupt the balance as long as it was cycled properly. That should be plenty.
Ok so ill do 20lbs of dry and cycle. Then after cycle i will add 10-20lbs of premium live. That should give me around a 1.5" sand bed if im calculating correctly. Give or take. Hows that? My current setup has around 1-1.25" left. Its been running for almost 7 years.