All Of My New Fish Are Dead!!!!! Need Some Help.

tdog7879

Ok about a week ago i pick up 2 banggi, 1 scooter, mangrin goby.. All of them had died except the scooter which seems healthy and fat.. The mangrin was really small (1") and when he went in to the tank my big yellow tang thought he was food but after the attack he seem to be ok??? the cardnals seem to be fine too but they did not eat and seem to be nipping at one another then one of them died and then 3 days later the other had died??? I seem to have this problem with the new fish....i have also lost a algae blenny? a bar goby (ich).. I have a yellow tang 5" and 2 cinamin clowns that i have had forever theses fish have survied ich and clownfish diease. SO what am i doing wrong when it comes to the new fish? was it just a bad group of fish??
acclimate: float bag 15min-sometimes drip for another 15min
All water parm: are in check... i have alot of corals and they are doing great!
Thanks

fcatch76

do you mean a Mandarin? Seems like your acclimating is a bit quick, but you should post your tank specs to help others help you.

tdog7879

80 gal tall no issue once the fish were in and settle.....its just wierd how the scooter is doing great along with the tang and clowns..... I did noticed after a couple of days the cardnals had red stuff behind there fins...not sure what it was? Anyways im just going to go get a big mandarin goby and see what happens i also might get a sixline.

gypsana

Put on the brakes! Why would you get more fish if you have not determined your problem first. It does not sound as if you putting the new fish in QT. Also you are forcing the acclimation way to quickly. Mandarins are very fragile fish and do not survive many systems and need to have a ton of pods to feed upon. You need to tell us more about your system, do you have a refugium for one? Also how did you treat the past diseases you encountered? Sound like you are having another disease problem with the cardinal. BTW Yellow Tangs can be really aggressive.

tdog7879

Originally Posted by gypsana
http:///forum/post/2975324
Put on the brakes! Why would you get more fish if you have not determined your problem first. It does not sound as if you putting the new fish in QT. Also you are forcing the acclimation way to quickly. Mandarins are very fragile fish and do not survive many systems and need to have a ton of pods to feed upon. You need to tell us more about your system, do you have a refugium for one? Also how did you treat the past diseases you encountered? Sound like you are having another disease problem with the cardinal. BTW Yellow Tangs can be really aggressive.
Thanks for the heads up...but i do my research before i buy im not a rookie i just have had bad luck with the fish....I plan on dripping the next fish for a little bit longer. Also i do have a refugium with has alots i mean alot of pods in it...I have treated both ick and clown fish diease with seachem metronidazole ans seachem focus with vitiamins and have had great luck with it. Both the cardnals are dead.....here is my theory: The cardnal and the mandarins were just recived to from shipping to the fish store....most fish stores just cut the bags and toss the fish in the tanks which = stress fish...so that is my fault that i did not ask how long have the fish been at the store. As far as the scooter i had seen him in the store for a while now thats why i think he made it???????? CURRENT FISH: YELLOW TANG(he is not aggressive just to bigger fish..tried blue jaw and he just bully him around for a week) 2 cinamin clowns and a scooter blenny.

hlcroghan

Originally Posted by tdog7879
http:///forum/post/2975479
Thanks for the heads up...but i do my research before i buy im not a rookie i just have had bad luck with the fish....I plan on dripping the next fish for a little bit longer. Also i do have a refugium with has alots i mean alot of pods in it...I have treated both ick and clown fish diease with seachem metronidazole ans seachem focus with vitiamins and have had great luck with it. Both the cardnals are dead.....here is my theory: The cardnal and the mandarins were just recived to from shipping to the fish store....most fish stores just cut the bags and toss the fish in the tanks which = stress fish...so that is my fault that i did not ask how long have the fish been at the store. As far as the scooter i had seen him in the store for a while now thats why i think he made it???????? CURRENT FISH: YELLOW TANG(he is not aggressive just to bigger fish..tried blue jaw and he just bully him around for a week) 2 cinamin clowns and a scooter blenny.
Okay, so as far as acclimation, I would definitely do a drip method for at least an hour or so........not just floating them. That just regulates temp, not water parameters. If you are continuing to have issues with the fish you buy at this store, you may need to find a different source for you fish. they may not be a good source and/or the fish they get may be unhealthy for whatever reason.
Also, you may be continuing to have a different disease present in the tank that you should watch for......any other odd behaviors that you have noticed? You mentioned something about some red gills.....
Remember that the scooter blenny and mandarins eat the same foods so if you get another one keep a close eye on the pod population to make sure it does not get depleted.

tdog7879

Well thanks for everyones help on this i think im just going to go with the mandrian for now and i will drip him for a longer time than i normal would. Im not sure for an hour seems a bit much??? Also going to go to a different store. I just get hooked up at the other store. Anyways anybody got any ideas what other fish would work well with my fish??

gypsana

Originally Posted by tdog7879
http:///forum/post/2975479
Sorry not what I was trying to imply that you were a rookie. I make mistakes all the time. Good luck on your next purchase.

the_hadleys

Originally Posted by gypsana
http:///forum/post/2975324
+1

I'm no expert but I think a thirty minute acclimation is WAY quick... we do AT LEAST an hour usually more like an hour, forty minutes. Why waste money just dropping fish in there if they're going to die? Not to mention it's kind of cruel... I'm probably overstepping my bounds but I agree with Gypsana, put on the brakes.
Good luck.

tdog7879

Originally Posted by The_Hadleys
http:///forum/post/2975594
+1

I'm no expert but I think a thirty minute acclimation is WAY quick... we do AT LEAST an hour usually more like an hour, forty minutes. Why waste money just dropping fish in there if they're going to die? Not to mention it's kind of cruel... I'm probably overstepping my bounds but I agree with Gypsana, put on the brakes.
Good luck.
I dont even drip my corals for that long.....I guess fish are more sensitive than corals
I will drip the fish for longer than normal and see what happens.......Also in first post i said i would float the bag for 15min and then drip for 15 min. I guess you guys dont think thats long enough if everone is saying PUT ON THE BRAKES....gosh settle down people its my money im wasting not yours.....When i got the yellow tang and the clowns i just let them float in the bag and drop them in and there doing great so is the scooter..Thats why i was saying i got a new shipment of fish from the fish store except for the scooter that had been there for a while.

the_hadleys

Well... IMO... it's not just that you're wasting your money, there are living creatures involved here. You wouldn't get a cat or dog and feed it the wrong food or something and end up killing it and just shrug your shoulders... At least I hope you wouldn't...
Floating and dripping are good, just longer periods for the drip...

tdog7879

Originally Posted by The_Hadleys
http:///forum/post/2975644
Well... IMO... it's not just that you're wasting your money, there are living creatures involved here. You wouldn't get a cat or dog and feed it the wrong food or something and end up killing it and just shrug your shoulders... At least I hope you wouldn't...
Floating and
dripping are good, just longer periods for the drip...
dude i eat fish or seafood not cat or dog big... difference IMO so to me its just a fish thats why i dont spend no more than 20 buck on a fish. I spend all my money on corals....so i not really into the fish thing ...just my tank was looking a litttle lonely.

makoshrk2

I only drip acclimate when I purchase over the internet, and the fish have been sittin' for awhile. If it's just going from a fish store to my tank, no drip. Just float, then I add water every 15 mins. for a 1/2 hr.