Almost ready to give up !?!?!?!?!

ilovemytank

After 6 years of very successful saltwater tanks I am at my limits of frustration ! I can't deal with the problems I am experiencing and need to vent. I just need some support right now from members who can relate to what I'm going through, so please read this ! I reacently encountered dinoflagellates
. I recieved great members advice as well as bought " Algae, a problem solver guide" by Julian Sprung. I don't have any more of the "brown slime" showing with air bubbles in it anymore but I think the problem is worse !! Problem to be continued ! I have been up against time because last Tuesday I had surgery on my right hand ( Thumb to be exact ) on my nerves and not only am I still in stiches but my nerves have to heal and I can't even hold a pen and write on paper right now !!!! Two days ago my cleaner wrasse, who I have had for 2.3 years now jumped out of my tank and died.
My total tank in encased in a 15" canopy and he hit the only 3" circular hole that allows wires to be run out the back. Then yesterday I herd a crash and then saw a main support rock had broke in two causing a huge avalanche.
Then I woke up this morning and the peace of my tank has been upset by a clown fish !!!!
I have had two pairs of clowns for almost two years. One percula and one black pair. They each had their own large one ( I assumed female ) and one small one (I assumed male). They each have had their own territories and have never fought. The large black one took over the carpet anenome ( It has always been the home of the perculas) along with the large percula. He is now taken over the whole tank as well, venturing out and attacking the small percula till he hides in a small space in back and hasn't eaten.
He leaves alone the small black clown that has always been by his side. I'm scared that once this behavior has been established it will continue until the percula dies. I think either the change in landscape or desire to breed brought this behavior on over night. Now the biggest problem : Although I am not seeing any dinoflagellates I am having tons of what I think is die off from the algea. Its like astringy cement looking dust covering everything. Tons of it is being produced. I could brush it all off right now and it will be back in a few hours. It has clogged all four korilia pumps that had too be taken out and apart and cleaned. It has clogged and stopped up both my 1200 gph return pumps and my skimmer pump which I had to do the same too. Try doing that with only a left hand when you are right handed ! They will be clogged again soon. I am having to pull the filters daily and the only way I can describe it is : It looks like concreet dust 100 % clogging them. I noticed that there wasn't much flow and I realized that both 2.5 inch downspouts had fully clogged with this stuff.
All my chaeto and caulpera in my refugium is almost dead and turned white now because this stuff is using all the nutiants. There is no algea growing in my tank as well am I am struggling trying to keep my snails and emeralds alive by supplementing algea sheets. I really just need some positive support now from the members on this site !!!!!!

meowzer

I am really sorry for all your problems....I wish I could help you..maybe just letting you know that I have been thinking about you will help.
I am sure that someone who knows a lot will be able to offer you some good advice...keep your chin up....hope your hand heals good too.

black cobra

I am in the same boat man..... feeling like giving up. I just turn to this site for support. I would hate to just give up because thats something I just dont do.... I just want one damn thing to go right for once.
So I can totally relate. The only advice I can say is maybe do a couple HUGE water changes this weekend. Maybe only leave your lights on for an hour or two at most to try and kill that crap off whatever it is.....

t316

Ilove, I can relate to the "concrete dust" you are talking about. I too had, and still have some, following getting rid of algea issues. What has helped me is to just keep cleaning the skimmer, daily if needed, and double up on the water changes. It does get better.
I'm sure that you are getting down with the multiple problems. They often seem to compact each other. Take a deep breath, and keep it simple. I remember I had 20 people telling me 20 different things, including "chemicals for this, chemicals for that", but what finally seemed to work was "simplicity"...cut feedings in half, keep your hands out of the tank, and double up on water changes....Worked for me....

t316

Forgot to mention....On every single water change, use a turkey baster to blow that dust off all of the rocks. Then suck it out on the water change. It comes back, but eventually, you get ahead of it and it seems to slow down and get better.

makoshrk2

I always told myself that, when this hobby becomes no fun anymore, or causes too much stress I am done, out, adios amigos, syanara. A hobby is not supposed to be stressful, that is what work is for.

maryg

Geeze! That really sucks. Are you a member of any local reef clubs? Maybe there is someone you trust to come give you a helping hand. I know if I had a issue like that one of my fellow reefers would come over and help me figure it out. If I was close by I would be there. I hope it gets better.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by makoshrk2
http:///forum/post/2998939
I always told myself that, when this hobby becomes no fun anymore, or causes too much stress I am done, out, adios amigos, syanara. A hobby is not supposed to be stressful, that is what work is for.
Then you just as well quit right now. This hobby will get that way for one reason or another. This is not a hobby for you.
Just hang in there man.
I recently broke my left arm and had surgery on it. Luckily I'm right handed, but still one arm is tough no matter how you shake it. Also, my house was torn apart and the front door nearly completely cut out. I was in the middle of giving the entire outside of the house a face lift. The vinyl was all taken off and plywood exposed to the elements. My front door was going to be cut out the next day. Then snap! Try changing out a front door and doing cedar siding, wrestling with sheets of plywood with one arm, and one that hurt like hell. I'm just saying I know your spot.
If I were any where near you, I'd come give you a hand. Just put your head down and bear through it. You may and some others may too, learn a thing about your self. Take the advice you've been given,. It is good advice. I would myself look at trying to do larger, more accurately matched changes as opposed to more of the same size. This will probably be easier than doing so many smaller ones. If you can that is. Try finding a reef club. You'd be amazed how those guys can really come through for you. Really their kinda selfish actually, cause they'll do anything to see someone else tank....even clean it for them...

ilovemytank

Thanks for the responses. Its better knowing there is support out there. I did forget to mention that also last week one of my four moon light bulbs on a six month old 72" metal halide retro fit kit burnt out and I couldn't figure out where to get the replacement bulb. The place I purchased it put me in touch with the manufacturer because it was "discontinued". The manufacturer has already stopped making parts for this unit and said in the next few months I won't be able to find the moon light bulbs. They sent me five. One to replace and four for a back up set. When it rains it pours !

ilovemytank

I just wanted to let everyone know that the tank has really been coming back. I bought a shoulder length glove and put it over my hand and went to town. I emptied the sump and the refugium of water. I only took the top layer of sand from the refugium. I took out both return pumps and skimmer, ripped them apart and scrubbed every piece. I took out and cleaned all live rock rubble. ( I moved all caulpera and critters to a safe bucket during this process ) I cleaned out the back sections of my reef ready tank with a wet/dry. I did about a total of 55 gallons of water change. The next day my tanks color and life came back. Each day has been better. I have increased the light cycle back to normal and it seems like the life of the tank has done a complete rebound. My skimmer is still producing more junk including some grayer " junk" and the filters are still having a little of the "junk" in them, but its very close to being back to normal. I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I am close to it. Thanks for all the support.