Alternative Energy-Wind/Solar

al mc

I am considering trying to go 'greener' by going with either some wind or solar
power. I had someone come out fom a local company who brought wind 'maps' and measured an open area for how much unobstructed light it would get in a day. I can go with either (wind or solar) or a combination of both. Anyone have experience (good or bad) and any tips?

wangotango

If you do go solar (for energy) it will take you a long time to see a return on your investment. As of right now solar panels aren't as efficient as they could be, and are very expensive up front. If you wanted to use them for water heating, then that would be a more economical chocie IMO.
The big thing with windpower is size of the turbine. If your neighbors don't want to see it that may be a problem.
-Justin

al mc

Wango..Thanks for the reply. I have about two open acres. The figures I have are 'return on investment' time is about 6 years. My worries:
1. What is the useful life of the equipment
2. Is the technology changing so quickly that it will be obsolete in 2-3 years

wangotango

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/2876212
2. Is the technology changing so quickly that it will be obsolete in 2-3 years

With how much emphasis on building "green" these days, it's definately something that is under constant development. I had the numbers once, but I think current panels are somewhere between 15-33% efficient, so they definately have a way to go before you could power your entire house and not break the bank on installation. At the same time it doesn't seem like anyone's in too much of a hurry to make them better.
It's an interesting field, and it's one that I want to be involved in. I'm only a freshman in Architectural Engineering so I wish I could tell you more, but I havn't gotten there yet

Definately worth looking into though.
-Justin

scsinet

I was looking into solar just recently, and using the inexpensive stuff off that famous site where you bid on stuff, I figured a decent sized system would take 22 years to return... I doubt the equipment would last that long... let alone all the installation... the panels, grid tie inverters, batteries, yeesh.
Do you have any streams or creeks running through your property? I've heard that DIY small hydro setups are the best bang for the buck, as if the stream is permanent, they run whether it's sunny/windy or not, and they run 24x7. Of course you have to be careful not to mess up the ecosystem surrounding the stream, but it may be neat to look into.
Another angle would be to use sunlight more efficiently. Skylights - particularly the "light pipe" sort - have been successfully used to completely replace lighting over reef tanks. That may truly be the best way to go green in the hobby ATM.

reefraff

For return on investment best thing to do now is insulation, programmable thermostats, double pane windows etc and of course the solar hot water.

wangotango

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2876256
For return on investment best thing to do now is insulation, programmable thermostats, double pane windows etc and of course the solar hot water.
+1. This was something that I didn't mention.
Have a contractor come in and do an energy assessment.
-Justin

al mc

I was trying to go 'green' at work. Cost estimate I received for solar panels that would cut my electric need from my local power company by 60% AFTER
the State and Federal grants was $190,000. Just a wee bit pricey.

A single turbine that could give me about 4% of my energy...$11,000.
Going green ain't cheap!
I have insulated, double pained windows, etc.
My other though was geothermal.....
SCSI..No water running through the property.....by the way...how is the dog....fully recouperated I hope