Alternative to anenome

schultzie44

Hi there I was asking what are some substitute corals that have good chance that clownfish will host beside anemones? Thank you for any help or tips

schultzie44

I have 2 percula clownfish. I don't have strong enough lighting to support an anemone. I know clownfish can host all kinds of things but just wondering if there's a certain mushroom it soft coral that is a better supstitute to an anemone with a good chance of them hosting it.

schultzie44

I know the chances aren't great just was asking if there was something that better the chances but it's no biggie If they don't

zoidberg01

I tried a method that worked for me with my condy anemone and my maroon I put moss shrimp in the anemone and he went to get it and I did it so much time he decided to pair with it but months later he abandoned it so if u do this with a coral I reccomend the coral will have to be bigger than him and provide a hiding spot I would reccomend some kind of acropora or Mont I if u go with the coral

schultzie44

Oh ok thanks guys I appreciate it. I just don't have the lighting to support an anemone and I don't want to risk it dying and shutting down my while tank.

flower

Hi,

A clownfish will not wallow in any type of tube anemone, and for what it's worth, they seldom actually bond with any anemone, the anemone has to attach itself in the territory of the clownfish, and anemones seldom go where we want them to. In an established system usually the clowns have their territory staked out, and they stay in that area. I have seen clowns bond with fake anemones made of rubber (just an ugly algae magnet IMO). Mine loved the intake and out take tubes of my canister filter.

flower

Bang Guy, you gotta name that coral. Mine wallowed a flowerpot coral until it wouldn't come out to feed at all. Clown fish will wallow in anything they can in the tank, so the original question was what coral would not die (have a chance to survive) from all the clowns attention.

bang guy

It's a Green Hairy Mushroom - Rhodactis sp

If you direct feed it doesn't need much light. All the attention from the Clownfish seems to actually have a positive effect on the mushroom.