Am I crazy??????????????

dave2208

Let it be said that i've been reading about saltwater fish for about a year now,and NOT SAYING THAT I'M A PRO,but I think I'm ready to take the plunge. So here's my sitiuation.. I have the chance to purchase a 4 month old 180 gallon tank and equipment.
Do you guys think this is crazy????
. here is a list of what I would get!!
1.180 gallon all glass aquarium with dual overflows( new model with mega flows)
2. Oceanic natural hard oak stand.
3. Custom natural oak canopy.
4. Euro-reef RS180 skimmer w/pump.
5. Kent marine 60 gpd Hi-S RO/DI unit.
6. Iwaki MD 70RLT- 1500GPH- Japan.
7. Premium blue refractometer - RHS-10ATC.
8. Won pro-heat titanium 11- digital 1000 watt.
9. Icecap 2 bulb x 72 in VHO RETRO KIT.
10. 2 X Icecap 4in smart fan.
11. jbj auto top off- water level controller w/sensors.
12. 4x maxijet 1200 powerhead.
13. rid-volt grounding probe.
14. tradewind drop in chiller- 1/3 hp
15. 3x ice cap 400w metal halide ballast.
16. 3x metal halide reflector by coralvue.
17. 3x xm 400w 10,000k metal halide bulb, mogul screw socket.
18. refugium 60 by aquatic design habitat.
19. electronic ph tester
20. 2x digital thermometer by corallife.
21. 300 pounds of fiji live rock.
22. 180 pounds of fiji caribea live sand.
So be honest can a beginner handle this? I plan on starting out slow with
live stock . Probably FOWLR..
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
DAVE

scrapman

No way for a newbee...
Pls take one step at a time.... like most of us did... There's a lot to learn there...
Start small... learn... grow up...
Cheers/ and good luck...

grubsnaek

for not saltwater keeper its a huge and risky jump. but with the right support you'll be ok. is the person your buying it from able to help when needed.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by DAVE2208
Let it be said that i've been reading about saltwater fish for about a year now,and NOT SAYING THAT I'M A PRO,but I think I'm ready to take the plunge. So here's my sitiuation.. I have the chance to purchase a 4 month old 180 gallon tank and equipment.
Do you guys think this is crazy????
. here is a list of what I would get!!
1.180 gallon all glass aquarium with dual overflows( new model with mega flows)
2. Oceanic natural hard oak stand.
3. Custom natural oak canopy.
4. Euro-reef RS180 skimmer w/pump.
5. Kent marine 60 gpd Hi-S RO/DI unit.
6. Iwaki MD 70RLT- 1500GPH- Japan.
7. Premium blue refractometer - RHS-10ATC.
8. Won pro-heat titanium 11- digital 1000 watt.
9. Icecap 2 bulb x 72 in VHO RETRO KIT.
10. 2 X Icecap 4in smart fan.
11. jbj auto top off- water level controller w/sensors.
12. 4x maxijet 1200 powerhead.
13. rid-volt grounding probe.
14. tradewind drop in chiller- 1/3 hp
15. 3x ice cap 400w metal halide ballast.
16. 3x metal halide reflector by coralvue.
17. 3x xm 400w 10,000k metal halide bulb, mogul screw socket.
18. refugium 60 by aquatic design habitat.
19. electronic ph tester
20. 2x digital thermometer by corallife.
21. 300 pounds of fiji live rock.
22. 180 pounds of fiji caribea live sand.
So be honest can a beginner handle this? I plan on starting out slow with
live stock . Probably FOWLR..
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
DAVE
How much? IMO, if you have been reading for a year and continue to ask questions and research, you will be fine and starting with good equipment to boot!
Mc

shrimpi

I think, if you are going to get it for a good price go for it.
The more water volume you have the better. If you make a little mistake it wont make a large impact on a larger tank.
That package has everything you need. If you are SERIOUS about SW hobbying... Id go for it.

scotts

Well maybe I am weird, (skip the maybe part actually
) But I see nothing in there that is "too much" for a newbie. I will admit I would not necessarily hook up the chiller right away, but the rest looks like good stuff. Even if you just set it up, and look at the rock as you learn and go slow. Now for the two big questions, why is someone selling a set up after 4 months and more importantly..... how much?????

robdog696

Originally Posted by grubsnaek
is the person your buying it from able to help when needed.
(he was answering that question)
Just my two cents...
1. If you know what things like VHO, refugium, skimmer, refractometer, and RO/DI are then you are WAY ahead of the average "beginner"!
2. Just the fact that you didn't ask about what fish you want to put in there gives me confidence that you will do better than I did! LOL!
3. If you have the money to invest in something you're passionate about then why not? I'm guessing that if you have enough $ to buy this setup (worst case scenario) calling an LFS to come help set it up or show you a few things wouldn't be out of the question.
4. Is a porche too much car for someone who just got their license? I dunno, ask Kyle Busch, who had to wait until his 18th birthday to join NASCAR!

lion_crazz

If you are getting it at a good price, I see no reason not to take it. What is the price you are looking at for this entire set-up?
In my opinion, I would just get the set-up (if you can get it at a good price) and ask as many questions as you physically can. Ask any possible question you think of. That is why this message board is here. It is up and running 24/7 so that you can ask a question at anytime of the day. There is always people around to give you a quick answer.

H

huskychasrs

One more vote for "Go for it!" you don't have to run every piece of equipment from the onset. Get to understand the tank and water and go from there.
I learn from this board and my tank a couple of times a day. Good luck

curlsoc

Yep, I'm learning as I go, as long as you do it slow, you'll probably never need to replace anything. Although when you want to upgrade, you'll be buying a 400 gal tank :)
BTW, Scotts, why not hook up the chiller? I have mine running, as I live in a hot area any we hate to run the A/C more than needed. Diff between that and a heater?

reefer545

It is not really as intimidating as you make it look all itemized and such. Take pics if you can of the tank as it is set up NOW. then you may have a better chance of making all the right connections and placement. As well, The questions of price and why it is being sold are KEY FACTORS. You do not need to put any livestock in it any time soon and if you can live just rocks and the creatures that grow naturally on them for as long as possible, you should have plenty of time to figure out just what is going on and make all adjusments and tweaks you need. Dont be discouraged, I bet a lot of people on this site would have drown if they did not have those arm floaters when they learned to swim. Mistakes are a learning experience, and we all make them. Just try to do everything in your power to not make any BIG ONES.

dave2208

Thanks For All The Encouragement!! The Price For All Is 2000.00 And The Reason For Selling Is Their Moving. I've Priced It All Out And It Easily Sold For Over 7000.00 New. So I Think Its A Good Deal!!!

reefer545

You got the flow, do it, but you will soon have bi monthly water changes, electric, food, lights, chemical additive, and unforeseen bills too. Good luck and best wishes.

grubsnaek

like i said and everyone else that replied in between my first one and this one. with the rite support your good. hell wish i started off with top notch sh#t!
good luck, have fun, welcome to the addiction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meleerock

its an amazing deal for all of that. You have almost an endless amount of things you can do with a tank that big and all of that equiptment which will make every aspect fun. Do expect a pretty big increase in your electricity bill, and talking about your tank as if it was your kid. With a tank that big and a great number of experienced members on this message board on your side I would say it would not be overkill at all. It would be silly to pass up a deal like this IMO. Hope to hear from you soon. Regardless of the purchase or not...welcome!

Bryan