Am I in trouble?

roggy23

its beeen getting hot here lately so when i came home today my 60gal only sabae long tentacle anemone and hermit crabs tank was at 88 degrees.when the lights were on, is that a problem? Im using a fan now so its dropping

muskyhunte

You need to get the Temp. on you tank down to around 78 to 80. You might need to use a chiller. I have a room in my house where I keep 2- 250 gallon tanks that i keep the AC on in to control the temp. Tis is something you could also do.

nm reef

Any temp above 84 would concern me...but the important thing is stability and control of quick changes. I try to maintain a range of 76 to 82 daily....in time I may purchase a chiller to better control the range....

reef junky

You are asking for trouble with temps that high. I recently purchased a chiler from via aqua for a great price and it works great! I have it on a 90 gallon tank and I keep my tank at 78 degrees. Corals especially like temps to be low like this. I tried turning a/c vents towards the tank to lower the temp, its a waste of time. I also tried keeping the house cooler during the day which works somewhat, but also increases your monthly electricity bill. It is more cost effective to bite the bullet and purchase a chiller. I think I payed $290 with delivery included for my chiller which is awesome!

reef junky

2 more things...
1. If you get a chiller, drop the temp 1 degree a day. Do not drop it any faster than this, it will stress your fish.
2. Get a thermometer for your tank, if you have a thermometer in your sump, your getting incorrect readings for temp. I have a difference in temp from my sump to my tank.

bang guy

If the fan is working that's great. Just don't drop the temp too fast. 88F is at the very edge of tolerable but if you drop the temp too fast you will experience losses.

roggy23

hey reef junky is your chiller loud? also the fan is causing evap which means i keep dumping in more top off water which means i am going through water too fast.

muskyhunte

I run 2- 250 gallon tanks with out no chiller. I have been using and AC unit for years to keep the room a a constant temp. My tank water in the summer never goes above 78. I dont think you need a chiller. I have one room in my house set up just for fish and an AC unit works fine for me.

reef junky

No, my chiller is rather quiet.
Also, I have to add about a gallon or two of R/O water to my 90 gallon tank every 2 days. Evaporation is quite normal and should not worry you.

jennahill

Reef Junky-
I just got home from 3 days away and my chiller said the temp was 74- the thermometer on the tank said it was 80- I have it set for 78. I felt the water and it was 80. I shut it off and turned it back on- it then registered the correct temp, but the chiller did not come on. I shut it off for a little bit (about 10 min) and when I tried to turn it back on it has a message that reads LL- do you have any ideas what that means. Thanks! Jenna

reef junky

Read in the manual under troubleshooting, I think LL means it has an error. Call the phone number, listed in the back I believe, and speak with a technician. They will more than likely send you a part to repair it free of charge. You just have to install it which is not very hard. It is a pretty simple device once opened. Just tell the technician you bought it off ---- a short time ago. They will ask no questions and will also mail the part overnight. You have it on a 55 gallon tank? That chiller will be more than enough to keep that tank cool when working properly. Please let me know how you do and if you need any further help.
Mike

jennahill

Do you have a phone number for them? I only have an email address on the back of my manual and have not recieved a response back from them.