Am I lucky?? Is this normal??

fishyfun34

Hey guys,
I was curious, I've had a 75 running for almost 3 months now with 130lbs if tonga, fiji and marshall live rock along with 80 lbs of live sand. I have at least 10 of those hitchhiker snails, a couple of pretty baby feather duster worms, a red mushroom polyp that is growing like crazy, tons of spagetti worms, what looks to be a peanut worm and I think a bristle worm. My copecods are everywhere. I think I also have green corraline algea growing, very very lime green color. Is this the norm for most tanks?? We pretty much just get a kick out of watching things sprout from the rocks, there aren't even fish in there yet. ***) I hate to sound cheesy but saltwater tanks with live rock are so amazing. The amount of life they bring into your tank is awesome. I would love to hear some of the stuff you guys have had from your live rock, pics would be even better!!!

richarl5

I started my tank 8 months ago with only one live rock, which was covered completely in purple coraline algae. It's hitch hikers consisted of bristle worms, a good sized feather duster, a glass anemone, and some worm that I have yet to identify (it hasn't killed anything yet so I'm just leaving it be).
After reading on this site for sometime, I realized that the anemone was bad so I killed it, and the feather dusters have spread around the tank some. Only recently did the coraline algae start to grow more rapidly. I have also (in the last month) started to notice that there are MANY copepods in my tank.

anna&mike

We have about 60 Pounds of Live Rock that still is curing a little I think. :notsure: I am new to the Saltware enviroment but had a 55 Gallon Freshwater a long time ago. I think that we have had all those things as well look at our pick. Our tank is about 6 months old, but was established for over 2 years before we bought moved it. We love it and have lost several species along the way. But for now, very stable.

cdangel0

Cheesy nothing....
When I bought my first piece of LR I went out and bought a magnifying glass. My wife used to flip cause she'd have to call me for dinner 3 or 4 times, then would come down and find me sitting on a milk crate staring at the rock with a magnifying glass like I was Inspector Cluso <sp>
Would do this for hours on end - finally bought a stool after she began laughing at the milk-crate imprint on my butt.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Cdangel0
Cheesy nothing....
When I bought my first piece of LR I went out and bought a magnifying glass. My wife used to flip cause she'd have to call me for dinner 3 or 4 times, then would come down and find me sitting on a milk crate staring at the rock with a magnifying glass like I was Inspector Cluso <sp>
Would do this for hours on end - finally bought a stool after she began laughing at the milk-crate imprint on my butt.

thats perfectly normal behaviour... my friend jesse has a ninety G and when I go over to his house I do the same thing looking for various things. my friend brian has 4 55Gs running right now and I just spent 3 hours today over there looking over his tanks talking and helping him rearrange stuff then I traded him some of my minisnails and palys for a new lps and a couple leathers. there is no such thing as spending too much time with your tank, or anyone elses for that matter......

cdangel0

I agree - but you should have seen how mad she got when I unhooked her washing machine so I had somewhere to put my new RO filter. :hilarious

reefkprz

hey if you want to set up and auto top off and permanent RO set up just hook it to the sink and leave it there for a day or two. right quick she'll get sick of it being there, and practically beg you do hook it up another way.