an idea

monsinour

because i like zoos a bunch, what could go into a zoo coral only tank? What fish, snails, and shrimp? Could I keep the water a little cooler and get a catalina goby?
Basically, some kind of biocube, on the small side, with just enough rocks to make lots a ledges for the zoo rocks to sit on. If it had 2 fish in it, then fine, if not fine. Probably put sexy shrimp in there to keep it relatively clean and maybe some snails. Ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

monsinour

part of the issue is where would I put it? its an idea that i am kicking around. Maybe I can limit it to a swf.com filled only tank. like only get corals and other inhabitants from here only in it. I am sure that would make the board peeps happy.
My wife likes the catalina goby. i know they need cooler waters. can zoas survive in the cooler waters? can sexy shrimp survive in the cooler waters?

monsinour

no one has any ideas on the coolness factors?
What kind of tnak would be recomended? I want to keep it relatively small. Are the bio 14s ok? is there another brand?

btldreef

I don't think that the zoanthids or sexy shrimp can survive in a tank that is less than 72F, which is what the Catalina goby needs. I will say that smaller tanks, and really all tanks in general can be tricky to keep under 72F without a chiller.
Zoanthids would be fine a 14G BioCube with stock lighting. I have kept many in mine.

geoj

Look for this guy selling all-in-one 1/2 inch thick acrylic nano tanks they have a 16x16x14 that is very tempting I will PM you if you want.
I am thinking of getting one to use as my QT

monsinour

so the catalina is what makes everything else not happy, wonderful.
I guess this is the time to get a look at other things then as the zoos and sexy shrimp are the musts in the small tank. I still have no idea where to put it in my cramped house.
Is the bio cube the tank to go with? what about those fuval chi tanks? they look cool. are they FW only?

btldreef

Yes, unfortunately the Catalina causes issues. I have seen a few catalina's here and there that last in warmer waters, but the longevity is questionable. I'll make a stop into my one LFS this weekend to see if they have any. They seem to have really good luck with "converting them" per say to warmer waters, so I'll pick their brains as to how long they think they'd last in say a 76F tank.
I honestly don't know much about the other nano systems as I've only ever owned BioCubes, but I've been very happy with them. I believe the Fluval Chi is a FW only, but I'm not positive and I agree, they are really cool.
You could do the BioCube 8G or 14G. They're very slim and don't take up much room. My 14G is wedged in between my kitchen and living room in a tiny empty wall space I had that the stand fit in perfectly.
If you go wtih the 8G, there are a few nano fish you can do, the 14G will give you more options for fish.

monsinour

been doing some googling and it seems many have made the chi into a sw tank. problems are:
Evaporation will make the salinity rise quickly if you dont do top offs daily
rimless/topless makes for juping a possiblity
since the pump pushes the water up through the rocks, the actual flow in the tank is barely any
Oh yea, the LED lighting is not the worlds greatest and probably wouldnt be able to support much if any photo based coral like the zoas are.
Looking more into this to see if someone was able to change out the LEDs for better ones like what people have been able to mod in the EDGE systems.
edit: also thinking about some clip on lighting as an option as well. I would only be placing as far as corals go, zoos in to the tank so I know the light has to be good, but not stellar. Its not like I am going to be placing a clam into the tank. Stock list could be:
3x sexy shrimp (read that they do better in odd numbers greater than one.)
all kinds of zoos
some pair of fish, maybe neon gobies or something else that is small. Suggestions are welcome.
pair of astrea snails
Will be going to the LFS on thursday to pick up stuff and have a look at their chi to get a better idea of the LEDs in use.

monsinour

So I looked at the LEDs and there are 11 whimpy LEDs in the fixture. I dont think i can get in there and take them out and replace them with better ones. I asked about clip on LEDs that could grow coral and that seems to be the answer for lighting. Anyone have suggestions on these clip on LEDs? I was also thinking about getting either the biocube PH or fabbing something out of a small maxijet. Ideas on that? While I dont have the $ for any of this right now, this idea is not going away and I will make this into a reality. Can one have 2x neon gobies in a small tank? What about that yellow and red stripped with black spots little fish, a redfords or something. can you have 2 of those?

aquapod 24

Google evolution led lights... i think they have a 60w led circle fixture that you can hang from the ceiling. This should be sufficient fot zoas but you may need someone else to confirm that... i have a 120w on my 24g and it can keep sps no problem.

nano-newb1983

I think you should just get a 14g biocube or a 12g nanocube
The stock set up will be fine for the zoas, and will be able to have 1 or 2 fish max

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNo-NeWb1983 http:///forum/thread/383258/an-idea#post_3358868
so you looking to build ur own set up?
I am having assistance with the LEDs. I will have someone draw out the plans for cutting the aluminum and have someone else use their laser to cut the aluminum nad ship it to me. Once I get it, I will affix the LEDs and mount the thing over the Chi.

nano-newb1983

o ok yea that will be awesome for zoas.. be careful tho, once u buy some you will want more and more.. They can get alot too lol
Looking forward to seeing your build