An Odyssea review

daftboy

nm found them .... lol you have problems with 250 MH in a nano tank ? sounds like the water would boil

E

eric b 125

when i started this thread i honestly thought i would have a ton to say about the product. i really dont. i havent had any issues with the fixture other than the loose screw on arrival (which was the fault of UPS). i bought these lights as a hopeful skeptic. i dont take much stock in hearsay, but i also wont jeopardize much in my hard-headedness. that said: i gave the fixtures a chance but it did take a few long "monitored" burns of the halides for me to be comfortable with them. the fixtures dont get hot, nor do the ballasts. sure they get warm to the touch, but thats expected with any company. even if this was a 'name brand' fixture it would take me a few days to feel comfortable with the product considering the amount of electricity sitting over a box of water. i am still very happy with the lights and the customer service from the company i bought it from. right now i only have one brain coral and an anemone, both of which are doing just fine under these lights. i had gotten 50 lbs of marco rocks about a week before ordering these lights, so maybe 2 months ago. since then, the rocks are really coloring up beautifully and i dont have any heat issues in the tank.

novahobbies

Yeah, I keep poppiing in here to see other people's reactions to these fixtures as well. So far I've been reasonably happy with the fixtures I own, and I'll probablly upgrade to the MH fixture at some point in the future after reading the responses here. I just hope that people who have owned "problem" fixtures will also post to give us the flip side of the coin, so to speak.

coral keeper

I'll try to take a few pictures of my live rock tomorrow. My rock is super colorful with different kinds/colors of algae.

E

eric b 125

i'm still running the fixtures on the stock ballasts... still without incident. i am very content with these lights. i definately didnt get what i paid for, thats for sure.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Eric B 125
http:///forum/post/3189209
i'm still running the fixtures on the stock ballasts... still without incident. i am very content with these lights. i definately didnt get what i paid for, thats for sure.
What do you mean you definitely didn't get what you paid for?

drsteve2001

Ordered mine last week..the 250w halide should be here thurs...I am know a little worried about leaving it on while at work? Should i be?

E

eric b 125

you know what doc, i was worried at first, too. maybe not worried, but a little leary. whatever adjective i'm looking for. either way, i never took much stock in all of the hubbub about these lights, thats why i bought them. what i did was just left the actincs on while i was away, then when i was home i burned the halides. since i didnt have any photosynthetic animals it didnt matter if they were on for 30 minutes or 8 hours. i did this until i felt comfortable with them. i would have done the same thing with any fixture. like i said before, with this amt of electricity sitting over a box of water i would initially be cautious with any light. they run fine dude. they get warm, but all halides do. i have no problem leaving for the weekend with the lights on timers. i did some serious research before buying them, and i've talked to a large amount of people that have owned them for years who are still happy with them. i'm really pleased with them and i think you will be, too. my suggestion to you is to run them the way i did until you're comfortable turning your back on them. the reason you're not comfortable is because you heard from somebody, who knew somebody that had a pool guy whos dog got groomed by a dude who used to date a chick whos father went to a dentist who filled a cavity in a kids mouth who went to school with a kid whos father had heard that the fixtures are a hazard. (at least thats why i was leary) but after realizing the overwhelming amount of people that run these things w/o incident, i realized it was much ado about nothing. if odyssea had problems in the past, they've been addressed and fixed. i'm comfortable saying that i think you'll be pleased with them.

stdreb27

lol, well good luck, I picked up an Odyssea tank, and a PC light fixture for my original tank. Lets just say, the tank leaked after less than 2 years. While I had my light fixture, the ballast caught fire once. Then another fixture just petered out after 2 weeks. (It was bought new, but they said I can't return it or anything when I purchased it so I couldn't do anything about it) And this is personal experience.

drsteve2001

Just got my 250w halide today with LED lights 24"...the ballast is the metal one...Are those the ones they were having problems with?

andezzzy

250w 48in mh fixture over ten months with stock ballasts, and reporting no problems. Fan anD everything is fine. The only problem I'm running into is my Kenya tree growing out of control. So if anyone wants a frag n lives in northeast pa let me know lol.

E

eric b 125

nah, the ones that were getting bad press were the magnetic ballasts. they have since switched to electronic.

novahobbies

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3190188
lol, well good luck, I picked up an Odyssea tank, and a PC light fixture for my original tank. Lets just say, the tank leaked after less than 2 years. While I had my light fixture, the ballast caught fire once. Then another fixture just petered out after 2 weeks. (It was bought new, but they said I can't return it or anything when I purchased it so I couldn't do anything about it) And this is personal experience.
Thanks for the personal experience, even though I'm sure it certainly wasn't the best for you! Can you tell us if this was a recent purchase, or a little while ago?

maroon2

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/3191043
Thanks for the personal experience, even though I'm sure it certainly wasn't the best for you! Can you tell us if this was a recent purchase, or a little while ago?
I would also like to know. I have a 500w 48 in fixture on the way so posts like these make me nervous.

cjr579

I've been having my odyssea 20" fixure for about 8 months. Just replaced the stock 150MH with a phoenix 14k It's much more blue than the stock MH bulbs. Was wondering if it will remain this blue or will it whiten up a bit?