Anem. ?

michael7979

I have a BTA that I believe was stung be some xenia. It use to be whitish in color but now is brownish. Some of the bolb tips have come back and turned whitish again but the rest is still brown. Will the rest come back to normal? My GSM still hosts in it and since it has been away from the xenia it has opened up bigger. PH 8.0-8.3 , DkH 10 , Cal 430 all with sailfert tests and I have 440w of VHO lighting. The anem is in the same place he has always been since settling there. Any Help would be great!
P.S. the clown feeds the anwm.

bang guy

Xenia do not sting. They do have a potent chemical warfare system though.
Turning Brown actually indicates that the BTA is getting healthy. They are white when they are not healthy, called bleaching.

michael7979

I don't understand then because when I brought it home 1 yr. ago it was whitish in color and in the last month has turned this brownish color. The tentacles are kinda stringy with half having bulbs.

viper_930

The brown color is from the anemone's zooxanthelae, which comes from good lighting. Zooxanthelae is what get energy from the light and for the anemone. Anemones will loose them if they are not under good lighting.

michael7979

O.K. whatever you guys say it just seems weird that it took 5-6 months under 440w of VHO to start with the color change. Thanx

droshi

It sounds like it is healthy, the brown color is indeed caused by zooxanthellae, which is a symbiotic photosynthetic organism that lives in anemones and many corals. You may also want to try feeding your anemone directly if you think the clowns are not giving it enough. Feeding a lot can sometimes encourage the anemone to split (depending on if you want this or not).
Good luck, sounds like everything is good.

michael7979

Everything is cool and the anem. is starting to show other colors around its tips. Thanks everyone for your responses.