anemone dead? quick...respond please

gio28

Hi everyone, I just got a shipment of coral and inverts today and the only DOA seems to be the BTA i ordered. first off...it smells BAD! it also seems to be breaking apart so Im pretty sure its dead :( but theres something inside me that says maybe its still alive...hmmmm
what do you think? I think the smell gives it away?

meowzer

A dead anemone smells like something you will remember forever....believe me.....you know
if you are not sure, put it in a container with sw, and a powerhead.....
got a pic :)

gio28

oh i definitely gonna remember this smell...phew...its was knarly...
right now its in a plastic bowl (pretty big one) and im contemplating whether I should drip acclimate it or not.
i can post a pic with my iphone in just a sec. i see its insides coming out...and they are white...so im pretty sure its dead. the water in the bag was also brown...it was packaged very nicely though...

meowzer

if you have the means to keep it out of the tank for the next 24 hours do so.....BUT...if it has THAT smell.....it's a goner.....no live anemone (that I know of) smells like that
as a matter of fact....nothing that I know of that's live....smells like that

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3297497
if you have the means to keep it out of the tank for the next 24 hours do so.....BUT...if it has THAT smell.....it's a goner.....no live anemone (that I know of) smells like that
as a matter of fact....nothing that I know of that's live....smells like that

+1 but post a pic anyway! You will need a pic to show whoever you got it from anyway! (If they have a guarantee)

gio28

danng...i feel bad it died...i guess shipping must have been rough on it...all the other livestock (coral) was open within the hour...minus the cleaner shrimps still drip acclimating...
i guess i need to bag the anemone up and throw it away >:/
and powerwash the bowl it was in cause there's no way my mom is gonna take it back lol

hunt

Originally Posted by gio28
http:///forum/post/3297500
danng...i feel bad it died...i guess shipping must have been rough on it...all the other livestock (coral) was open within the hour...minus the cleaner shrimps still drip acclimating...
i guess i need to bag the anemone up and throw it away >:/
and powerwash the bowl it was in cause there's no way my mom is gonna take it back lol
cant you ttry and get a refund

meowzer

It happens Gio.....sometimes they just don't ship well
....I would not tell your mother you used her bowl for a dead anemone
take it from a mother....I'd be very upset...LOL....do you have a dishwasher????/ sneak it in there haha

gio28

im gonna ask the seller for one...hopefully they say yes
lol im gonna have to sneak it in there when she isnt looking...after i powerwash it outside haha