Anemone Death Toxin

iameeeyore

Just curious...I don't have any anemones, but would like one someday. Do all anemones emit a toxin that can harm the other inhabitants in the tank when they die? And if so, how can you protect the other guys in the tank?

viper_930

I don't believe anemones would release a toxin, but the resulting ammonia could have the same effect and possibly kill other inhabitants. Fresh activated carbon and a large water change will help.

iameeeyore

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
I don't believe anemones would release a toxin, but the resulting ammonia could have the same effect and possibly kill other inhabitants. Fresh activated carbon and a large water change will help.
I read on other posts (such as this one)that they do release a toxin.
Originally Posted by jdragunas

i think murph has the best scenario for you. Your anemones are already looking really bleached, and if they die, they'll release toxins into your tank, which will kill your other inhabitants. IMO, exchange them for sand. that way, you can change your substrate out right away. Next, get more LR, and the last thing you should do is get the correct lighting.
If you LFS won't allow you to trade them in, then you should get the lighting first, then the sand, then the LR.
as for your nitrates, how much are you feeding, and what fish do you have? You said you only feed once a day, but that doesn't matter. You should only feed what your fish can consume in 1-3 minutes. If you feed too much, the food will settle on the bottom, and start breaking down. that's normally the main cause of high nitrates, along with not enough filtration/LR, but it looks like you have plenty of LR.

bang guy

I agree with Viper that a dead Anemone will just release Ammonia.
There is a case with Anemone being chopped up in an overflow or powerhead where unfired nematocycts can find their way into the water column. This can be disasterous for fish.

willcon

thats what happened to me last weekend. i hope thats not the reason i cant find my coral beauty

T

thomas712

:thinking:
Sodium and potassium channels are the primary targets for a number of neurotoxins, each of which causes specific alterations in channel functions. Blocking of ion channels by sea anemone toxins leads to paralysis of neuronal transmission in skeletal muscles . This produces among other things, heart arrhythmia and respiratory failure ending in cardiac failure. No specific therapy is known.
The toxicity of sea anemone toxins is high, not only for prey animals, but also for others, including many vertebrates. The lethal dose for a mouse, expressed by a LD50 value, ranges from 1 to 100 µg/kg. This is comparable with the most toxic organophosphate chemical warfare agents . It is clear that these toxins have potential as warfare agents. Sea anemone toxins are more available than many other animal toxins, for example snake, scorpion or spider toxins. Their molecules are relative simple and may be prepared by solid phase peptide synthesis or more sophisticated biotechnologies. However, these toxins can also be used as guides leading to new, more effective therapies. Because the target of their action, neuronal sodium and potassium channels, is known very well , it is possible to use structure-based drug design and find those compounds that have good geometrical and chemical complementarity for the target structure.

bang guy

My understanding is that these toxins have to be delivered to the bloodstream via nematocysts. I don't believe they are harmful in a dying Anemone except in the case I listed above where Nematocysts are scattered, intact, by being torn out by a powerhead or overflow.