Anemone dieing

svabek

Well, I don't think my anemone is going to make it through the night.:( I don't understand it?? My water tests fine. I even took some to my LFS and it checked out with them too. My other larger anemone is doing fine. This one over the past four days just starting looking weaker and weaker. Now I can see its center and hardly any of its tentacles like arms are bubbly. They are all stringy.
Any idea what could have happened? Any idea on how I can save it?

svabek

I fed it Krill.
I just added the other anemone the day this one started to look bad, but the other anemone stayed at the opposite side of the tank and then crawled to the back.

When the tenticles start to get stringy, there is usually one of two problems. Either you are not feeding it enough, or there is not enough lighting. I would try feeding it and moving it higher in the tank if possible. Also, if you need to increase your lighting and the retro fit will take a while, try increasing your daylight cycle. Good luck!!

uncletobal

custom sea life I believe is the maker. And they have actually upgraded their system from a 55 watt to a 65 watt. you gut out your standard flourescents, and this one bulb system comes with a reflector and ballast. I've never tried to jam two in there though. That would probably give you some melting.

spsfreak100

When the tenticles start to get stringy, there is usually one of two problems. Either you are not feeding it enough, or there is not enough lighting.
I disagree. This can mean many more things than just two. One, is that it's expelling waste, in which it's normal to see an open mouth, deflated tentacles, as well as brown gunk coming out of the central mouth opening. This is usually cause by incorrect feedings. You never
stated which species of anemone this is. All anemones will need a different food source, as well as different requirements. I dread the idea of getting another anemone to replace this one, or any other one in the future. Anemones just don't survive in captivity. The only few people I have seen, keep a nice anemone living and thriving for over 3 years, are the ones with the proper tank setup, and the ones who did the proper reaserch and care, and tried to meet the anemones demands. Anemones are araving at our LFS's today bleached, half-dead (already dead in some rare cases), dyed, discolored (Stress), deflated tentacles, non sticky tentacles, as well as a very unhealthy foot. Most people purchase these anemones. I always encurage doing the proper reaserch long before you buy, I can speak with personal experience with this one.
Your other anemone is likely a new addition, correct? I hate to be nagative, but I doubt it will live any longer than 4 months. IMO, and only IMO, I would take the anemone's back. Try to discurage the LFS's from selling them, esspecielly wild cought anemones.
Sorry if I sounded harsh in any way, I wasn't meaning to.
Good luck,
Graham :)

jbfastlane

Not to distrust the last guy's opinion, but does everyone agree that anem's don't survive but a few months and are hard to keep
etc etc etc.
I was thinking about getting one - but I've thrown away enough money feeding my mantis freak shrimp (not intentially) and don't want to continue throwing away money on things that will die anyway.
Other opinions???

bang guy

jb - If you're going to buy an anemone may I suggest a hobbiest-propogated Bubble-tip. They are not cheap but are at least proven to survive in a captive environment. A Rose is an excellent choice.

attml

Maybe I am missing something because I don't keep them, but from everything that I have read 65w seems way too low for an anenome? Please let me know if this is an incorrect assumption?