Anemone killed my fish???

jwagne267

So my new royal gramma was killed most likely by my anemone bc it was gross and had that sticky stuff all over it...as if it had already been pooped out haha. So the question is should I bring it back and just get like a frogspawn or something for my clowns to host in?? I don't want the anemone o start killing all my fish. It's a 20 long tank and if so how to hell do I remove the anemone??

coastie81

Originally Posted by jwagne267
http:///forum/post/2815138
So my new royal gramma was killed most likely by my anemone bc it was gross and had that sticky stuff all over it...as if it had already been pooped out haha. So the question is should I bring it back and just get like a frogspawn or something for my clowns to host in?? I don't want the anemone o start killing all my fish. It's a 20 long tank and if so how to hell do I remove the anemone??
I would get rid of the anemone I had 2 and they ate my yellow tang. so off they went. I just aimed a powerhead directly at them and wen they started to move I just grabbed them off the rock and that was the end of them. I donated them to my LFS cause they were looking for anemone's for there display tank that they had. just my .02

jwagne267

Well it was a green BTA, and it is going to be gone as soon as I get home from work today..... Shame as it has a beautiful color now, almost dark green with pink tips. I guess I will just get a frogspawn or something else my clownfish can host in.
Another risk taken and another lesson learned.

-tara33-

are you sure it was the nem that killed it cos i used to hav a bta and my bi-colour blenny used to sit on it all the time by accident and he never got stung, you did say NEW royal gramma, sometimes these fish dont acclimatise properly i find that i have to drip acclimate v slowly otherwise they die a day or two after of shock and they kinda look slimy. just checkin is all, but sorry for the loss, they are beatyfull fish

perfectdark

Unless you actually witnessed a completely healthy fish in the act of getting killed by the anem, I seriously doubt that was the cause.
More than likely your fish had issues to start and either found its way to the anem in a weak and or disoriented state or died and floated into it. Out of all the anemones available the BTA has one of the weakest poisions in its stings.
FYI, A hammer coral has a more potent sting than a BTA.

perfectdark

Unless you actually witnessed a completely healthy fish in the act of getting killed by the anem, I seriously doubt that was the cause.
More than likely your fish had issues to start and either found its way to the anem in a weak and or disoriented state or died and floated into it. Out of all the anemones available the BTA has one of the weakest poisions in its stings.
FYI, A Hammer coral has a more potent sting than a BTA.

aquaknight

x2 The fish was most likely dead, or near death, and the BTA enjoyed a nice meal. I've had a plate coral eat (or attempt) a dispar anthias, that died and floated into it's tenticles.
Additionally, LPS corals make for horrible hosts for clowns. They have sharp calcium skeletons, that the rough clowns will likely cause to cut into the corals fleshy parts and cause serious and most often fatal damage to the coral.

gsellers

to add to aquaknight....clown will damage flesh of coral revealing the skeleton and clownfish could injure itself by hosting the revealed skeleton...

jwagne267

Should I keep the BTA and just get a new fish or should I take it back? I just don't want to keep having the same problem. I did notice the Gramma was always hiding but I thought that was just part of their personality.

aquaknight

IME, Gramma's have very a poor record adjusting to tank life. I've never seen so many fish that are dead at the LFS/dead still in their shipping bags, as Royal Grammas. That's not to say Gramma's are a bad speices, and once they establish, are very hardy, it's just that the first couple of days, seem to be really make it or break it for them.
As far as taking back the BTA, it's your call, but if it's because you fear for other fish, those feeling are unfounded. The BTA will be safe with other fish.

jwagne267

Ok, I'm gunna keep it and hopefully you guys are right about the BTA not being able to kill a healthy fish. Thanks for all your help and I'm sure that it was the fishes fault because when I went back to the LFS the guy gave me credit back for the fish because he said all of his other royal grammas died too and he said it must have been soemthing with the shipment they came in with.

jwagne267

oh no, sorry I don't think I have updated my profile in a very long time haha I'll go ahead and do that so I don't get people confused.

poopaloop

Eh, my royal grama did that too, but he just died, I thought it was my anemone also. I think I was wrong as I agree with the above poster that said more of them die and are poor shippers or/and a poor time acclimating.. I have since taken my flower gardening approach to reefing, If it dies then I don't want it, it was weak or diseased, that has relieved a lot of stress in my reefing life. (but i DO still research what I'm getting and make sure I have the right parameters)

peachie98

You mentioned in one of the first posts you have it in a 20 gallon...is that correct? If so, I'd almost say that's quite small for an anenome as it grows. Mine is in a 40 gallon and it took up half the tank when fully extended (now it split so I'm sure once both halves grow I'll have to take some out). Might not be much room in there for the fish once the anenome grows larger.

jwagne267

Half of a 40 gallon tank??? If thats a BTA then its either one of the biggest BTA I've ever heard of or you have a really weird tank dimensions?

peachie98

Originally Posted by jwagne267
http:///forum/post/2822877
Half of a 40 gallon tank??? If thats a BTA then its either one of the biggest BTA I've ever heard of or you have a really weird tank dimensions?
That was fully stretched out before it split (it was HUGE!)...now that's it's split it's 2 smaller ones. They take up a big chunk though. When stretched out it/they move around/lean so I can't put anything anywhere near where they can lean towards...that's why I say 1/2 the tank as it's pretty much dedicated to them and my corals are towards the bottom front and the other side of the tank. I'm not taking any chances of the bta's harming something or causing a war of the corals.

jwagne267

I'd keep one and take one back for credit if it was me. You have a picture of it before it split? If so shoot one up on here.