anemone mouth all teh way through

J

jacob_poly

Hi,
Yesterday I noticed my BTA to be a little unexpanded and this morning I noticed that the opening of the mouth went all teh way through and I can see the rock behind. Anyone with this experience before? I do recall a thread where someone else noticed the same thing.
Water parameters:
SG : 1.025
tank temperature : 78F
alk : 8.5
calcium : 450-500 ppm
I am sure that the Nitrogen based values are just fine since I have had this tank for a little over 2 years.
The anemone itself I have had for 1.5 years.
Am attaching a picture of the entire anemone and also a picture of just the mouth.
Thanks,
Jacob.

J

jacob_poly

I hope so....just changed about 10% of water(my tank size is 90G) and am going to change the carbon in a few as well just so that the tank can handle any eventualities. The reason I am a little worried is because I dont see the separation progressing. Most pictures of what I have seen of splitting seemed to show the halves moving in opposite directions to facilitate the separation. I dont see that here.....:(

T

thomas712

If it is then this would be a great photo shoot, keep taking pictures of the process.

misty7850

My Bta just split, now my clowns are confused and don't know which one to go with, so they take turns.. LOL

zanoshanox

Lmoa, WHat are your lgihts, parameters? That may help us figure it out. I hope it is though for you!

J

jacob_poly

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
Lmoa, WHat are your lgihts, parameters? That may help us figure it out. I hope it is though for you!
not sure if this was for me...
have 250W MH (10K) + 260 W PC (10K + Actinic) over 60 gallons. I have listed other water parameters in my initial post.

zanoshanox

Ok my bad, lol. Well the parameters all look good, I would have to guess it was splitting too. Mine looked like it was dying and then it split overnight (but it looked bent out of shape for 2 days before that)
Good luck though!

J

jacob_poly

k...not sure whats wrong with the anemone I had started this thread for. But in the time that I was watching, in a space of 2-3 hours, another anemone(sibling of this one) of mine split. It was behind a rock. I was astonished to see its tentacles start appearing from both sides of the wide rock. Sure enough, I now have 4 BTAs. Not sure what the one with the open mouth is trying to do though since its not splitting....

J

jacob_poly

k....was mildly anxious about my anemone all week. Well this morning I noticed his foot at one end bloated. I immediately knew that he was seeking to move ... THe problem though was that the rock that he is on is a secluded rock on the sand bed. So if he wanted to stretch there was really no room. Sensing this I moved the rock a little closer to the glass so that it could plant the wandering end of the foot on the glass. Once it got that grip, it proceeded to stretch itself and the splitting began. Its still in progress as I speak but I will keep posting pictures.....

J

jacob_poly

Thanks guys!!...now I have 5 anemones. And for anyone who cares for the insides of an anemone...here are two pictures thats sure to kill your appetite....

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by MrsDorothy
How long does it take them to heal after they split.
It all depends, mine usually take only a couple of days an they look like two little anemones again.

J

jacob_poly

Originally Posted by MrsDorothy
How long does it take them to heal after they split.
Yeap...like Thomas stated...couple of days....however, I dont feed them for 2 weeks after they have split. I did notice a crab trying to pick at the unhealed parts of the anemone but after I shooed it away all was well.