anemone problems

Last night I found my tank had had a heater malfunction, the temperature had risen to appx. 86 degrees. My anemone had not closed down in a ball but had shrunk down. He hides in the back all the time. I couldn't see the front.
So...
I wanted to provide more information for those who have been so graciously helping me. I have done all of the things recommended and here is what I have found out:
I placed a little semi-frozen shrimp in it, it ate it all within 5-7 minutes.
It is attached firmly to a live rock.
It is moving its tenticles pretty well, the clown fish I have is still trying to play with it.
It is the same color as it was when I purchased.
The ammonia is at 0 right now.
I managed to move some rocks around and get some photos. I have attached two photos for viewing.
I will take any advise or thoughts...thank you all so much!!!!!!!

B

bonita69

I think your fine and so is your little fish eater!
no worries at this point.
BTW your pics did not come up.

B

bonita69

mouths looks nice and tight...Very good!......Has nice open spread...Very good....inflated nice.....Very good! Well footed to rock.....Very Good! Don't QT at this time
Wondering about how white he is was he like that when you bought him?
How much food so far have you given since you bought him?

He is actually the same color as when I purchased him a little over month ago. Actually, my inexperience and excited picked him because he was more white than the other available. The others were cream colored, but the fish store said he was doing well so...What color do you think it should be really?
I was told that he would be fine as far as food goes naturally if the tank was running smoothly, established, and if we had a clownfish. Two different local stores told me this, I hope that wasn't wrong. Two days ago though, since many suggested to see if he would eat, I moved some rocks and took pics and provided him with a small shrimp. He took it nearly right away. Of course the biggest problem with feeding him has been his location, he refuses to show himself off in the front of the tank only facing the back.

B

bonita69

OMG!!! feed that boy, try small pices of fresh raw, shrimp, scallops, squid, that is what I feed mine and he loves it! Get from seafood section of your grocery store."Hand feed" "spot feed" I bet he will grab it quick and munch down!!
I am not sure of the color and what he should be, but he looks to be bleached out a bit NOT YOUR FAULT, just feed him some fresh foods and I bet in time he will get his wonderful color he is supose to be, if in fact this is not the color he is suposed to be.

B

bonita69

oh and cut the chunks no bigger than the mouth. Did he move to that spot on his own?
why does he like that spot what is the flow like?

He did pick that spot himself, normally there is a rock on top of it, he stays squashed betweened the two. I took the top rock off for the pictures. I am not exactly sure what the water flow is there. Probably middle of the road, I have mushrooms near there that do not show much movement, just alittle.
Okay, I can't see his mouth...how do I see it? I will put some food in its tenticles in small pieces, I hope he likes it!! How often do you feed yours?

perfectdark

Your anemone is severly bleached. Rule of thumb, there is no such thing as a healthy white anemone. Yours is lacking zooxanthellea, and although supplemental feedings will help, if your lighting is not sufficient its out come will be grim. It can make a full recovery but proper lighting is a necessity, supplemental feedings only aid in the healing. Good Luck....

sh2000

Originally Posted by bonita69
http:///forum/post/2459535
OMG!!! feed that boy, try small pices of fresh raw, shrimp, scallops, squid, that is what I feed mine and he loves it! Get from seafood section of your grocery store."Hand feed" "spot feed" I bet he will grab it quick and munch down!!
I am not sure of the color and what he should be, but he looks to be bleached out a bit NOT YOUR FAULT, just feed him some fresh foods and I bet in time he will get his wonderful color he is supose to be, if in fact this is not the color he is suposed to be.
What is bleached out ?

This is the lighting that we have:
Coralife Aqualife 150W
It has 2 Royal Blue Coralife Compact Fluorescent (24")
The bright light that has a seperate switch is a metal halide.
We have it on the 24 hour cycle, with a bright light, daylight, and moonlight.
Is it not enough? What I am lacking?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by confusedfishy
http:///forum/post/2460491
This is the lighting that we have:
Coralife Aqualife 150W
It has 2 Royal Blue Coralife Compact Fluorescent (24")
The bright light that has a seperate switch is a metal halide.
We have it on the 24 hour cycle, with a bright light, daylight, and moonlight.
Is it not enough? What I am lacking?
Nope that sounds good... well, depending on your tank size but I think thats in check. It should recover just fine, keep feeding it and keep your water chemistry spot on.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by SH2000
http:///forum/post/2460100
What is bleached out ?

Bleaching is the depletion of Zooxanthellea due to lack of light and photosynthesis. Over time the animal turns pure white and will eventually die if it doesnt get the correct amount of light.

B

bonita69

Originally Posted by confusedfishy
http:///forum/post/2460028
He did pick that spot himself, normally there is a rock on top of it, he stays squashed betweened the two. I took the top rock off for the pictures. I am not exactly sure what the water flow is there. Probably middle of the road, I have mushrooms near there that do not show much movement, just alittle.
Okay, I can't see his mouth...how do I see it? I will put some food in its tenticles in small pieces, I hope he likes it!! How often do you feed yours?
I feed once a week, in the past about every 3 -4 days, but my carpet has grown so fast and has a 16"+ spread now after a year so I have cut down his meat intake. Once I upgrade to my 180 I will let he feed more....maybe

my carpet likes a slow flow, and my flower (rock) likes med, so maybe yours likes the slower currents as well.
How about just moving the rock he is on closer to front but maintaining the slower current
maybe he will stay, and he will be getting food so maybe he will see that spot you put him in is a yummy place to be

sh2000

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2460613
Bleaching is the depletion of Zooxanthellea due to lack of light and photosynthesis. Over time the animal turns pure white and will eventually die if it doesnt get the correct amount of light.
can this happen when you have extremely strong lighting ? I run 2x250 mh and 4 true blue actinics 65 watts each in my 80 gal. should be way more than enough ????

sh2000

to add I run the MH'S for 5 hours a day and the actinics for 10-12 hours a day I also have 8 led moonlights... i've been successful with this system for 18 months lost 1/2 coral in that time span.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by SH2000
http:///forum/post/2462925
can this happen when you have extremely strong lighting ? I run 2x250 mh and 4 true blue actinics 65 watts each in my 80 gal. should be way more than enough ????

In some cases light shock can bleach a coral that doesnt require as intense lighting such as a MH light. Especially if it went from PC Lighting to MH and is relativley close to it. As far as anemones are concerned. No, they wont bleach, they will hide for a while until they acclimate to the new light and aiding them is recomended by reducing your light schedule for a while in the beginning. IMO I would let your MH lights stay on for 8 hours, run your actinics before an after couple hours each.

W

weatherby

I made the same mistake and purchased an LTA from a chain store that was pure white. Everyone gave him no longer than two weeks at most to survive especially under 80w of normal fluorescent lighting... Here's a picture of what he looked like then, notice how white he was. When I get home I'll see if I can find a current picture.. Let's just say he's been in my tank a year + now and he's about 4 times this size and a dark caramel color..
So needless to say, they CAN make a come back it just requires some patients and TLC. Mine did it by being placed in a breeding box hanging off the edge of the tank no more than 4 inches beneath the lights. That seemed to do the trick for him.