anemone problems

sh2000

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2462943
In some cases light shock can bleach a coral that doesnt require as intense lighting such as a MH light. Especially if it went from PC Lighting to MH and is relativley close to it. As far as anemones are concerned. No, they wont bleach, they will hide for a while until they acclimate to the new light and aiding them is recomended by reducing your light schedule for a while in the beginning. IMO I would let your MH lights stay on for 8 hours, run your actinics before an after couple hours each.

More than 5 hours a day would require me to get a chiller for my DT. I'm planning on getting some 3" fans to blow across the top of the tank, we'll see if that works out..The weather has been fair for this time a year in the north east..I'm sad when spring/summer comes as I fear if the fans don't work I will be forced to sepnd alot of $ that I don't have on a chiller for a 80.

gobucks

Is the ZooPlex additive not a good way to feed the Anemone? In order to feed it directly, I would need to move alot of rock, as it keeps moving down to the bottom of the tank and against the back glass. Feeding it directly, live or frozen shrimp? Thanks

perfectdark

What type of lighting do you have? Anemones do not REQUIRE supplemental feeding often at all. In fact they can go months with just good water perameters and sufficient lighting. If you do spot feed them anything raw and fishy will do, clam, shrimp, silverside etc... stay away from oily fish type foods. My concern is this animal should eagerly seek out the light and fully inflate which would make feeding rather easy. If it is not out in the direct light and hiding there maybe issues.
Hiding when first introduced is not uncommon and getting acclimated to new surroundings can take up to a week. But slowly it should make its way out to find the light.