anemone question

newbie911

Ive had my anemoe for about a week now and it hasnt moved alot which is good from wat i hear because it means hes happy with the place its in but to day it sucked in all its tentacles and sorta went into a whole. got him out but tentacals are still deflated and ect... good, bad, self induced?????
Thanks
Drew

bang guy

It was bad that you got him out IMO. If he's healthy and in a good environment it's going to do that once in a while.

newbie911

ok thanks i sorta regreat taking him out now but i guess i know for next time, due you know how long it takes to get back to normal
Drew

billy ocean

I have had a lot, and I mean a lot of sucess with anemones. The key to keeping them happy is:
1. DO NOT MOVE THEM!!!!!
If you move them, they die.
2. Do not let ANY levels of your water parameters fluctuate.
They need a rediculous amount of water stablity. They do not need pristine water as much as they need the levels to be stable.
3. Feed your anemone.
The common belief is that they need bright light. Not true. If you put an anemone under bright light, the first thing he will do is hide. Anything more intense than NO's will slowly kill off your anemone.
(an unrecoverable dying anemone can appear and act normal for more than a month before it starts showing signs)
2-3watts/gal is enough light for an anemone to thrive. Just feed the d**n thing and you will have no problems.
Of course, this information will be disputed by readers of this board, but I highly doubt they have anywhere near my experience with anemones.

toughguy80

I use a dropper and fill it with brine shrimp and other goodies I feed my fish. Then simply point it at the anemone and fire:)

newbie911

o yeah is there anyway to convince your clown to host in an anemone or does it take a while mine hasnt gone neer.
Drew

toughguy80

When the food hits it, the anemone will fold it's "arms" in towards the hole in the center of it, which is it's mouth. I feed mine 2-3 times a week. Some people say only once a week so I guess it's kind of a toss up. As for the clown hosting, I've had a clown with my pink tip for 5 months now and my clown hasn't ever attempted to host in it. If your clown is captive raised it probably doesn't know what the anemone is because it's not needed for safety. It just depends on the fish, my clown host in my feather duster?:notsure: Kind of luck of the draw. Also, I hear bubble tipped anemones are preferred by clown fish to host in so that might have something to do with it too. HTHs

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Billy Ocean
Of course, this information will be disputed by readers of this board, but I highly doubt they have anywhere near my experience with anemones.

BillyOcean-almighty - with very little exception we appreciate all experience on this board - even yours. For those of us who disagree please allow us to do so. I agree that is would be a poor choice to air many things in a aquarium..fish, corals, inverts and such.
I must have missed the day that you expressed your infinite experience with anemones and as I am always interested to learn more pherhaps you could come up with your own article about them for the benefit of so many members who have tried or want one. I'll be more than happy to make it a sitcky of the week article.
Personally I only have 3-1/2 years with BTA's and rock/flower anemones that are doing fine in my 90 so as you can see I am limited in experience and not an expert.
Grant us O BillyOcean the reason why (other than it will die) than an anemone can not be exposed to the air. What happens to it?
We wait and listen
Thomas

newbie911

well right now my anemone is behind my LR and doesnt look like its gonna move you can hardly see it from the front so i just leave it there???
Drew

bang guy

Originally posted by newbie911
well right now my anemone is behind my LR and doesnt look like its gonna move you can hardly see it from the front so i just leave it there???
Drew

Right.
Let it adapt to your tank on its own terms. It will come come out.