anemone smoking (with pic)

teewin

I have heard of snails releasing eggs and looking like they are smoking, but I've never heard of an anemone doing it.
www.msu.edu/~colange2/anemone.jpg
Has anyone heard of an anemone doing this? I'm sure it is not expelling waste. I've had the anemone for over a year, and this looks totally different then when he expels waste. This happened last night, and there was a constant stream of the smoke looking stuff for at least an hour.

bang guy

It does appear to be a spawning event. These can be massive. Either the anemone it doing very well or it is under duress. I can't tell from the pic.
I suggest mechanically filtering the water to remove most of the gametes. If they don't pair up with the opposite gender gamets they just die and this can definately pollute your tank.

teewin

When I bought it they advertised it as a rock flower anemone. I've never really figured out exactly what it is.

michaeltx

yeah its a flower or rock anemone the one I had before did this about every 3 months never got offspring out of it though. but the fish and other inverts had a feast.
here is a pic of mine I have now. they come in kinds of colors.
Mike