Anemone vs Goniopora: EMERGENCY HELP NEEDED! (Pictures)

dutchswan

So I purchased an Bubble-tip Anemone two days ago, and he seemed to quickly find a spot he liked (about 4 inches to the right of where it is in the picture below). When I got home today, he was looking really good, but I was concerned about how close he settled next to the Goniopora. I was afraid that one might poison the other (or both).
When I got home from gym, the Goniopora was in full bloom with its tentacles extended 3". As a matter of fact, he looked...well fed and the second picture reflects what the Anemone looked like (it was easier to move the Goniopora than the Anemone, so I moved it to a different spot for now).
Is my Anemone doomed or am I just paranoid?
If death is enevitable, should I remove him now before tank ammonia levels are affected?
If he HAS been poisoned, why would he just stay there and take it? Why not move away?
These two pictures were taken 3 hours apart.

flower

Anemones pack the greater sting and they deflate and re-inflate. The coral was in more danger than the anemone ever was.

dutchswan

So everyone thinks both will be okay? I am freaking out over nothing? I watched this anemone for a few weeks at the LFS before purchasing it. I just have never seen it so.....extremely deflated. Looks like a vampire fish sucked him dry.
How much of a threat are the Goniopora and Bubble-tip to each other? Do I need to be more careful about where I put the Goniopora (ie not where the Anemone clearly likes to hang out?)

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchswan http:///forum/thread/383476/anemone-vs-goniopora-emergency-help-needed-pictures#post_3354199
So everyone thinks both will be okay? I am freaking out over nothing? I watched this anemone for a few weeks at the LFS before purchasing it. I just have never seen it so.....extremely deflated. Looks like a vampire fish sucked him dry.
LOL...that's a good way of putting it,......a normal anemone should do this periodically....some even daily.....as said previously this is how they expel their waste
perfectly normal....as long as they fill back up LOL

dutchswan

Then I guess I was associating his defaltion with proximity to the Goniopora (who looked happier than ever to be close to the anemone). How long does it usually take for them to reinflate?

dutchswan

I suppose another picture is not necessary...my anemone is nearly back to looking like it did in picture one. Thanks for dealing with my freakout. :)

btldreef

Welcome to owning an anemone.
I agree that the goniopora was in far more danger.
Just out of curiosity, what lighting do you have in this tank? BTA's require high lighting.

dutchswan

My wife keeps trying to use it as a night light when the 5month old needs fed in the middle of the night. She is going to drive my animals crazy.

dutchswan

Well she wouldn't turn it back off, so basically it would spend 16 hours a day on (which will also burn it out faster, of course). I told her how much MH bulbs cost yesterday...she bought a real night light and plugged it in next to the tank lol.

btldreef

LOL, I was going to suggest telling her how much halides cost vs a night light
My husband is notorious for turning on the actinics when he gets up for work in the morning (4am) and leaving them on. They don't go off until midnight, so my poor fish only go 4 hours a day without lighting...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchswan http:///forum/thread/383476/anemone-vs-goniopora-emergency-help-needed-pictures#post_3354269
I suppose another picture is not necessary...my anemone is nearly back to looking like it did in picture one. Thanks for dealing with my freakout. :)

The problem with Flower pot coral is that while it was very happy where it was, it may not be happy where you put it. Keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't extend you may have to relocate until you find another happy place for it. They are very ticky and die of starvation from not opening.

dutchswan

Quote: Originally Posted by dutchswan http:///forum/thread/383476/anemone-vs-goniopora-emergency-help-needed-pictures#post_3354269

I suppose another picture is not necessary...my anemone is nearly back to looking like it did in picture one. Thanks for dealing with my freakout. :-)

The problem with Flower pot coral is that while it was very happy where it was, it may not be happy where you put it. Keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't extend you may have to relocate until you find another happy place for it. They are very ticky and die of starvation from not opening.
I started him out on the sand bed, and it did not seem to like it too much...rarely opening and no extension. This had him 26" from the surface, and another 8" to the light. I found the perfect little crevice that was on the side of the top layer of rock that I was able to wedge in the thing he is glued to. Within 30 minutes he was in full bloom and fully extended. I didn't even realize hoe tall it was till then. My goal is to move him back to that spot when my anemone moves. (That high location also made microplakton feeding much easier.)