Anemone.. Whats wrong with him?

sirbrently

So, the past couple of weeks, my anemonehas been shriveled up like this.. He moved from the top of the tank where he had been sitting for about three months down to the bottom.. and he is still curled up. Every now and then he does a "shake" almost like a convulsion.
Think he is splitting?
He is a bubble tip that I bought from SWF.com

sirbrently

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/392371/anemone-whats-wrong-with-him#post_3483402
Does not look too hot......what type of lighting do you have? age of tank? water parameters?
Nanocube, 14g, 3 months. I will check parameters in the morning - but they have been relatively normal. little high on the PH. But, in the past week i lost a hermit ( i think he outgrew his shell, a snail, and a emerald)

sirbrently

Everything else in the tank is doing great and looks great... I have noticed, it seems like I have a film on the top of the water.. I wonder if something got in there.. Im going to do a big water change maybe 2 gallons tomorrow..
Corals, two clowns and my clown goby are all doing great. Not a clue.

sirbrently

The standard lights on the unit, and LED moonlights.
Lighting: 1X 24W True Actinic 03 Blue Straight Pin Compact Fluorescent Lamp; 1X 24W 10000K Daylight Straight Pin Compact Fluorescent Lamp; 1X .75 Watt Lunar Blue LED Bar. There is also an extra slot for one additional Lunar Blue LED Bar. The Actinic lamp, the 10000K lamp and the Lunar Blue LED Bar each have their own power cord and can be controlled with a timer or the power switches on the top of the aquarium.

meowzer

W/O hearing your water parameters...I am going to say insufficient lighting.....and tank is too new.....sorry...BTA's need better lighting

sirbrently

Nitrate: 15PPM
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
I did notice my temp was at 82 (a little high, but not unmanageable)
My salt was a little high at 1.025
did a 1.5 gallon water change, (i only have about 11 gallons of water after sand and rock...
Any ideas? Are you sure you think its light, thats over 5wts per gallon of water...

meowzer

YUP....I'm positive it's the light......they need better lighting....like halides or good leds.....most will not survive under stock fluorescents :(
BTW your salinity is fine.....I keep most of my tanks at 1.026

sirbrently

Well crap.. ok. Its just odd, everything else in my tank seems to be thriving.. splitting.. etc... and the anemone just started doing this.
What do you suggest at this point. I am rather limited being I have a cube

gemmy

I would find a new home for the anemone or upgrading the lights. At this point, I think finding a new home for it is the optimal solution.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbrently http:///t/392371/anemone-whats-wrong-with-him#post_3483408
Everything else in the tank is doing great and looks great... I have noticed, it seems like I have a film on the top of the water.. I wonder if something got in there.. Im going to do a big water change maybe 2 gallons tomorrow..
Corals, two clowns and my clown goby are all doing great. Not a clue.
Hi,
A film on the surface of the water means you do not have enough water movement. The wave is the life of the ocean and your saltwater reef tank. The top of the water should look like it's boiling...do you have a power head to help move the water surface?
I agree with Meowzer, you do not have enough light...it takes an anemone time to finally die from insufficient light, so after a few months ... saying it was fine before doesn't mean much. Also most people can not keep anemones alive in a tank that has not been established at least 6 months to a year. As always there are exceptions to the age of the tank rule, but not lighting and water flow.

Yes. Your nem is stressed because their is not enough light, or flow. If you see a film, their is little to no flow in your aquarium. Sell that anemone before it dies, or change your lighting, and upgrade you powerheads if you want the anemone. I have 3 anemones under 2 halides and they couldn't be doing better. They have LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of flow also which is good for their overall health and growth.