Anemones Compatablitly

kc19

Was considering a Bubble tip anemone to go with my two maroon clowns. Wondering if the BTA would attack my goby, blemmy, or dragnet that is also in the 55 gal tank.
Assuming larger fish like Wrasses and a small hippo tang would be safe with a BTA

karensanemones

Hi KC.
I wanted you to know that Maroon clowns are the hardest clowns to keep with Anemones.
They are dive bombers and tentacle suckers and will harass your Anemone to no end.
But if your clowns are just babys, say an inch long be sure to buy the largest anemone possible for them, the larger the better.
They will still beat up any Anemone and I never suggest anyone keep BTA's with Maroons also because of the size the Maroons can get to be.
They are the largest of the clowns, reaching 5 inches even in a smaller tank. So please consider these facts when purchasing any Anemone for your clowns.
They also have spines on the side of their faces that can be used to rip into the Anemone, they are not good for that reason also.
See more information on keeping anemones on my site at www.xxx.com
Karen

bang guy

The width of a hosting Anemone should be 4 or 5 times the length of the Clownfish. That can be difficult to achieve with a BTA and a Maroon. The only fish you mentioned that I would worry about is the Tang. As long as it's never spooked it will be fine though and the Clownfish have a tendency to shoo other fish away from the Anemone.

kc19

Thanks for the info, great site Karen and will have to spend some more time checking it out. Your 125 gal is making me consider getting better lights for my large tank!!
Both of my maroons are about 3 months old and still haven't begun to develop the yellow bar. I was thinking a BTA because they seem to be the hardiest anemone. Anyone have a better suggestion for which anemone to try?? Mostly wanted a fairly small anemone that wouldn't start to take over my tank, or eat my other fish. ie carpet/ magnifica.

fretfreak13

I'd stick with the BTA for the dragonet's sake. As well as being hardy, they're also the least aggressive (shorter tenticles). I'm going to assume you have a mandarin, and since they live on the rocks they can easily hop into a nem by accident and get swalloed up because they're slow swimmers. If your maroons are THAT small, I think it would give the nem some time to toughen up and get used to the tank before they decide to beat it up. lol

kc19

I decided to go with a sebae. The two maroons started hosting in right away. The only downside is that its settled into a corner behind the rock wall and at the back of my tank.
Seems to be doing good. Not sure how successful I have been at feeding it though. I have tried frozen foods, along with chopped up seafood, clams, shrimp ect.
The nem is pretty hard to get at, so hopefully his little clowns bring him food every now and them.