anenome ID??

T

thomas712

Ouch :scared: That is a terrible looking anemone. As though it had lost all of its zooellanthe. Please understand that white anemones are bad, unhealthy and most likely doomed to die unless they get the proper light needed.
Is there any color at all on the very tips of the tenticals?
Lets review your lighting exactly, watts? spectrum? age of lightng? everything you can tell me about it.
Thomas

comet_nut

Ok I have a standard aqua one blue light and white light (both 55W I think). The anenome seems to be fine, there is no colour in it what so ever but the LF store said that it was fine and healthy. The anenome is feeding well and has finally settled down. It doesn't appear to be a BTA, I have had one of them before and the tentacles are nothing alike.
Water quality is excellent, I get real sea water from a local store and the corals are thriving.
The anenome came with the clowns as a package, they had been tank bred and in the tank with this anenome since hatching.

comet_nut

I have one of the standard aqua one curved glass tanks, like I said Im not sure if its 55W could be a hec of a lot more, I don;t have the packaging for it. Are these all in one tanks a bad thing?? Everything I haev seems to be doing fine and the tank is about 2 years old. It has damsels, a comet grouper and the clowns and quite a few corals and everything is thriving. It was getting that crowded in there with growth I have had to swap 2 large pieces of rock that were just about bursting with corals to a friend and replace the rock with stuff that is relatively bare. Help??

J

jacob_poly

what exactly is the size of your tank again? You need about 4W/gallon or more for anemones to thrive long term. And key to that is helping them regain their zoos, which is aided by good lighting and regular feeding. Good to hear that the tank is 2 years old and so its chemistry most likely is stable. The fact that its feeding is a good sign. Keep feeding him and watch to see how it does. From past experience, if an anemone is not going to survive, you usually lose it in the first two weeks. So keep feeding it, maintain pristine water parameters and perhaps investigate into upgrading hte lights to VHO or MH. But then again if your tank is not a tall one maybe PC might do.
Good Luck.

bang guy

Your Anemone will require massive amount of food to survive. This could pollute your water enough to cause other problems.
I would seriously consider removing the Anemone.
It is NOT
healthy.

T

thomas712

A word about bleached anemonies.
Originally posted by Thomas712
First of all if your going to keep an anemone then purchase the best lighitng that you can afford. In the case of the BTA then you should have at least 260 watts of lets say VHO over a 50 gallon tank.
If you see a white Anemone then steer clear, white anemonies have suffered bleaching and are likely unhealthy.
What is anemone ‘bleaching’?
All healthy anemones have a population of zooxanthellae in their body tissues that helps provide nutrients to the host anemone. This algae population is brown in color, and all healthy anemones will have an underlying color tone of light to dark brown depending upon the intensity of lighting under which they are kept, and the size of their zooxanthellae population. In cases of stress or poor water conditions, the zooxanthellae population in an anemone can die or be expelled. This condition is called “bleaching” since a healthy, dark colored anemone can become light and pale overnight. Bleached anemones are white or translucent in color, and lack the noticeable brown undercoloring of healthy anemones. The lack of zooxanthellae puts an anemone at significant health risk, since it no longer has a substantial source of nutrients. However, even badly stressed and bleached anemones can recover if placed in a stable, healthy environment. Daily feedings and appropriate light conditions will help the animal to rebuild its zooxanthellae population and reacquire its normal tan/brownish color over time. This process may take a while – three months is not unusual.

iyaoyas

Originally posted by comet_nut
Ok I have a standard aqua one blue light and white light (both 55W I think).

I have one of the standard aqua one curved glass tanks, like I said Im not sure if its 55W could be a hec of a lot more, I don;t have the packaging for it.

Not to flame you or anything like that. And if you think I am, I apologize in advance.
But, if you don't know the wattage of your own lights, maybe you haven't researched enough to purchase an anemone.
I wish you the best of luck with your new anemone.

T

tizzo

there is no colour in it what so ever but the LF store said that it was fine and healthy.

I hope you take heed to the advice given here. Although the responses you are getting are fairly thorough, I would like to point out one additional thing...
It is my opinion that you should march right back into that LFS and ask the guy if he was sincere in believing what he told you.
If he says yes, you should advise him to close his shop and do some research because he in not acting in the best interest of the critters he sells.
If he says no you can do one of two things...
1) Slap him silly
or
2) Tell him how you planned an entire reef ste-up with all the goods and you WERE going to buy everything there. But that one lapse of judgement on his part has caused you to look elsewhere.

B

big911dog

the heck with the psychology Tizzo...Go with ur first suggestion. SLAP HIM SILLY!

comet_nut

I know you guys are all convinced that this thing is going to die but i have been following the advice given to feed it everyday.. Seriously in the space of a week by feeding it everyday this thing has nearly doub;ed in size, and yes it is still as white as ever. Is it even vaguely possible that because I love in Aust the anenome could have come from around here and be naturally white?
The LF store in question is actually one of the best in the area, all my supplies and fish I have bought from there and I have never had any trouble at all.

comet_nut

the lighting I have also tracked down the specs for. The blue light is 20W and the white light is 100W. The lighting pattern is as follows, 2hrs blue light, 4hrs white and blue then another 2hrs blue.

aidos

not trying to hijack this thread but comet_nut u said ur from Australia. Im from adelaide, where abouts are are u? anyways good luck with the anenome and good to see another Aussie on here, though i was the only one.

T

tizzo

I know you guys are all convinced that this thing is going to die but i have been following the advice given to feed it everyday.. Seriously in the space of a week by feeding it everyday this thing has nearly doub;ed in size, and yes it is still as white as ever. Is it even vaguely possible that because I love in Aust the anenome could have come from around here and be naturally white?

White anemones have been successfully handled in the past. Anemones need nutrition. Most of their nutrition, they get from the algae that grows on them called zooxanthellae, without that algae, they will need supplemental food. A lot of supplemental food. And anemones poop. So with all that food going in, a lot of waste will come out. Now they also need optimim water conditions. OK, we now have an anemone and a lot of poop. I don't see optimum water conditions in this equation. So... your anemone will starve. And no, there is no such thing as an anemone that is white in nature. Well, not a healthy one anyway.
This is not a gang up on you, this is simply the truth. Every book you pick up will tell you the same thing. If your lighting was adaquate, you would prolly see your anemone regain it's natural brown coloration. But since it isn't adaquate, you will watch him slowly starve.
Tha fact that he has already gotten twice his size is irrelevant. Anemones fill themselves with water, any amount they choose, and for whatever reason they choose. Yours is simply inflating himself more, that doesn't indicate health.
Whatever happens, good luck!! :)

comet_nut

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their advice. I am going to give the anenome a go and see if it survives. If it doesn't then I have leant a valuable leson.
I am just worried about parting my mated clowns from the anenome, the damsels can tend to be a bit bossy and as the clowns are still juvy's I am reluctant to part them from their only form of security.
Thanks again to everyone