Anenomes kill mandarins?

viet-tin

I had this happen with my carpet anemone. During the evening while my actinics were on, my mandarin found its way right into the carpet and there was nothing I could do as I didnt know it would swim into it. I just watch my poor mandarin get engulfed by the anemone.

polarbear1

greenwolf i would say this is true. I had a rock anenomes that took two of my clowns, so if a mandarin would make contact with one it would probably have the same result

rykna

My bubble tip tried to eat one of my clown fish! Fortunately Nemo managed to squirm out.

ophiura

I am sure there is some truth to it.
I am also sure that many of the stories fall into the "my fish was healthy and it was eaten" catagory. The reality is that mandarins very commonly die of starvation, and people may be looking for some other reason for it to die instead of addressing the very real limitations on keeping this and other animals in their tanks.
So the actual frequency is probably skewed.

xdave

Healthy fish that come from areas that have anemones seldom get caught by one. They recognize them and just inherently avoid them. After reading what happened though,something I'd never thought of before popped into my mind, maybe fish don't recognize them under actinic lighting. :thinking:

viet-tin

I do know for sure my mandarin was a healthy one as Ive had it for over a year and it was doing good on frozen and even pellets. I used a technique from melevsreef with an olive bottle with the frozen food inside and it worked after a few months. I did make the mistake of adding a carpet into my 100 gal, but when I purchased it it was shrunken and when fully expanded it opened up to be about 20"+. It could've been that since it was new and behind a ledge, the mandarin didnt know it was there and accidently swam into it as what xDave said was true Reef fish are aware of the dangers of an anemone and avoid it.

zookeypr12

Originally Posted by viet-tin
I do know for sure my mandarin was a healthy one as Ive had it for over a year and it was doing good on frozen and even pellets. I used a technique from melevsreef with an olive bottle with the frozen food inside and it worked after a few months.
If you wouldnt mind could you explain what you did?
I have a mandarin and have had him for about 4 months. He looks great and I have a tank that I bought that was up and running for about 3 years and it has a good amount of LR.
I just want to be sure it is getting enough to eat and If I can supplement that in any way that would be great.
thanks

viet-tin

Well I have a 100 gal with about 200lbs of rock so it was already getting plenty to eat. When I first got this mandarin It was a little skinny, his belly was a little sucked in. I had my tank up and running only for a few months so I know my systems was providing adequate food at the time. So when I bought this lil guy and brought him home, I put him into a qt tank full of chaetomorpha and rock rubble that I recieved from another reefers refugium. Little at a time I would add live brine into the tank and he readily ate them which was a plus for me. Slowly I mixed frozen brine along with live and he took to the frozen as well. Then again I slowly mixed in frozen mysis along with the live brine. This took awhile as he didnt show any interest in these for awhile. I then added ocean nutrition pellets just to see if it would even try them and to my surprise he eventually did. This was a long process taking over 6 months to accomplish. Once he started regularly eating the frozen I moved him into my dt and he had trouble finding food as my other fish would gobble every morsel befor he even knew I had fed the tank.(sorry this is so long and for hi jacking your thread) I read an article by melevsreef and what he did was placed a small clear container, like an olive jar, with the food inside. The opening had to be small enough to keep other fish out and obviously big enough for the mandarin to fit inside. This took a few days as he had trouble with the other fish scaring him away and finding the entrance to I placed the entrance near the rocks and he eventually figured it out. This process took very long and I was very devastated to see him get eatin by the carpet. His death was my fault...I really regret getting that thing and I ended up giving it away to another hobbyist that wanted it.

viet-tin

Oh and I forgot to mention you might want to watch out for your hermits or snails as they will go inside and eat the food. I elavated the container a little bit just to keep the hermits out. My nass snails got in there anyways but my mandarin didnt mind them at all.

zookeypr12

Viet Tin,
thanks alot for explaining. My mandarin looks good now I just was curious in case he startts looking thin......actually maybe I might just start trying to acclimate him to other food now just to supplement.

xdave

Originally Posted by dskrezyna
Why would anyone get carpet anemone if it's such a trouble maker? For the "real reef" aspect?
Anemones don't attack fish, they just eat what gets stuck in them. I've never heard of an anemone pursuing a fish. I had a Sebae Carpet that covered 90% of the open space on the bottom of my tank. In the 12 years I had it, it never harmed a single fish.

dskrezyna

Originally Posted by xDave
Anemones don't attack fish, they just eat what gets stuck in them. I've never heard of an anemone pursuing a fish. I had a Sebae Carpet that covered 90% of the open space on the bottom of my tank. In the 12 years I had it, it never harmed a single fish.
So it's considered a rare occurence when a fish gets stuck in an anemone?
Do clowns generally prefer a certain type of anenome? LTs?

nigerbang

Originally Posted by dskrezyna
Why would anyone get carpet anemone if it's such a trouble maker? For the "real reef" aspect?
They are amazing and beautiful...Not my pic but a good one..