Angels, Tangs, Sharks, 200 gallons

200 gallon tank, Lion fish (getting rid of, because i'm worried about him stinning the sharks) Horn shark, bamboo shark. i've had the three of them together for quite awhile and i'm wanting to get Angles and Tangs. I was looking at one of the other threads and people were talking about angels picking at the sharks? I was planning on trying to put 4 or 5 angels in my tank(4 small and 1 large).
What is my best option?
Thanks

el guapo

A 200 is too small to house one shark let alone multiple sharks including a horn shark . Angels are also a big no no with sharks as they tend to pick at them .

kjr_trig

With multiple sharks I would say your best option is getting a 500 gallon or more tank....Agree with Guapo, Angels can be very hard on sharks.

andrew1113

like both people said before buy a 500(+)gallon tank put the sharks in there ...keep the 200 and put some tangs in there problem solved

+1 on elimination of Angels and on the size of the tank. A 200g you might be able to keep a single bamboo. I have a bamboo in a 180g, but he was the only creature in the tank.

Thank you, I'm not concerned about the size of my tank right now though, is it a likely chance that i will have problems with angels causing serious damage to one of my sharks? Would it be the same with a large angel also?
Thanks

bioneck47

Originally Posted by basketballas
http:///forum/post/2853926
Thank you, I'm not concerned about the size of my tank right now though, is it a likely chance that i will have problems with angels causing serious damage to one of my sharks? Would it be the same with a large angel also?
Thanks
Your not concerned about your tank size? You really should be, especially with your stock list, and you can pretty much forget about any angel, especially a large one, they are notorious for picking on sharks and rays. You should also stay away from aggressive tangs as well such as powder blue, powder brown, white cheeck, sohal, clown, etc...
Also do you have an ATO system? External pumps? What kind of filtration are you running?
Please don't take my words as mean or inconsiderate, but you should really do alot more research on sharks and their needs before hand.

crimzy

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/2853541
A 200 is too small to house one shark let alone multiple sharks including a horn shark . Angels are also a big no no with sharks as they tend to pick at them .
Yep.

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2853694
With multiple sharks I would say your best option is getting a 500 gallon or more tank....Agree with Guapo, Angels can be very hard on sharks.
Ditto.

Originally Posted by Andrew1113
http:///forum/post/2853703
like both people said before buy a 500(+)gallon tank put the sharks in there ...keep the 200 and put some tangs in there problem solved
I agree.

Originally Posted by DoggiePuffer

http:///forum/post/2853852
+1 on elimination of Angels and on the size of the tank. A 200g you might be able to keep a single bamboo. I have a bamboo in a 180g, but he was the only creature in the tank.
+1

Originally Posted by bioneck47

http:///forum/post/2853936
Your not concerned about your tank size? You really should be, especially with your stock list, and you can pretty much forget about any angel, especially a large one, they are notorious for picking on sharks and rays. You should also stay away from aggressive tangs as well such as powder blue, powder brown, white cheeck, sohal, clown, etc...
Also do you have an ATO system? External pumps? What kind of filtration are you running?
Please don't take my words as mean or inconsiderate, but you should really do alot more research on sharks and their needs before hand.
Good points.

Glad I could contribute to the discussion.

I do not want to be rude I am very appreciative of the advice, I did research prior to purchasing my sharks. I thought if over and I plan to keep both of the sharks in the 200 gallon unless I see that the tank for whatever reason it is incapable of housing them. If it comes to that, which it could, I have made arrangments. But I'm not going to get angels now, I was really looking forward to it though. Could i get a sailfin, blue hippo, naso, and one other tang? What other brightly colored fish might I be able to get?
Thanks for all the advice

mboswell1982

you're already maxing out your bioload is what everyone is trying to tell you, with the number of sharks in your tank, you really cant add anything else to the tank

I've never kept a shark and never will but I did a quick search and both of those sharks get 3-4ft (maybe significantly less in captivity). How big are your now? Those fish sound like they will get monsters in that small of a tank.

I have a 90 gallon sump with lots of plant media ,250lbs of live rock, 3inch sand bed, 2 canister filters, 250 snails, 150 hermits, the tank is circulating 10 times an hour, the tank has been estabolished over 9 months and other thank the first month I have never have a problem with nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, or anything else. I tried to make sure that would i not have a problem with any chemical levels. Will a few fish through that all off?

mboswell1982

sharks put out a massive amount of bioload, and you are already overstocking with just the 2 sharks in that tank to be perfectly honest. they need a tank thats easily 10ft long, with rounded corners, otherwise they're really cramped.

unleashed

if your tank were much larger 300 + gal then you could get away with some tangs sich as hippo ,naso ,unicorn, sailfins scopus etc.with the bamboo shark if hes small enough.. i wouldnt recommend these with a horned..i idnt have issues with my white spot bamboo in a semi aggressive reef he did quite well actually as did the other fish that he lived with.
its been 2 yrs since i sold that tank but ill try to remember the entire stock mind you these were all from previous tanks owned for a few yrs b4 placed in the 300 these were alot of larger show sized fish
large vol lion
pair bird wrass
hippo tang
unicorn tang
sailfin tang
scupus tang
lined eyed surgeon
majestic foxface
Australian dotty back
coral beauty
flame hawk
lawnmower blenny
butterfly(cant remember the name )
3 maroon clownfish 2 gold one reg
white spot bamboo shark 26 inch 1 yr old
300+ lbs live rock
several soft corals ,polups,zoas, etc
all tank mates got along very well the shark was very well behaved with others and visa versa however this is not to say that you wont have issues..I just did not... but I was also able to keep 3 clowns in one anenome lol

redman1221

Originally Posted by basketballas
http:///forum/post/2854082
Did you have any problem with the tangs fighting each other?
Sorry I have to say something, everyone is trying to tell you that you are max out in your fish tank if you don't want to listen do what you want it is your tank, jm2cents.

crimzy

What are the dimensions of your 200?
Regarding the stock list, compatibility speaking, a naso, hippo and sailfin would probably be fine with the sharks. I'd stay away from the more aggressive tangs like sohals, clowns, etc.
However as others mentioned, you need to be careful of your bioload. Seems like your filtration is decent but I noticed you don't mention a protein skimmer. If I were you I'd definitely invest in a good skimmer if you intend to keep those sharks with large fish.

patrick8929

any pics?and if your gunna ask a question and just give an excuse for every peice of advice then why keep asking questions?

krj-1168

Absolutely no Angels with benthic sharks - very bad idea. Angels are known to pick on sharks, which can result in serious injury or even death for the shark.
Also keeping either a Bamboo or a Horn shark in a 200 gallon tank may be ok well the shark is small juvenile(under about 1 yr old). But long term - you really need at least a 600 gallon tank to keep either(assuming of course that the bamboo is a Brown-banded) to keep just one of these sharks. To keep both in the same tank - you really need a pond of at least 1,000 gallons. Anything less will not be enough for either shark's life time.